Why We Switched to Nikon

I thought the gear list that he and his wife picked out was interesting. He wrote that they bought, "3 d750s, a 24 3.5 tilt shift, 24-70, 2 Sigma 35s, 45 tilt shift, 2 Sigma 50s, 60 macro, 85 1.4, 85 1.8, 2 105 f/2s, 70-200." Plus, they have the Cheetah flash system units. All in all, pretty solid setup with a lot of emphasis on higher-end glass in the focal lengths most people would want for events. Pretty nice array of lenses to use on the D750, or any other FX Nikon for that matter.

They certainly didn't scrimp on the equipment.

The tilt shifts are a bit unexpected. I assume for special effect and location shots. Seem like a pricy route for only a few shots.

While I shoot Canon, I will admit that he D750 and D810 have made a big impression on me.

What I find most interesting and funny about this article is that they maxed out their credit cards to purchase 3 d750s and the glass to go with them and then they talk about "making" money on the switch. Not sure that I'm buying that one.
From the read of it, they bought the Nikon gear first, and then went about slowly selling their Canon gear on ebay to pay off their credit cards, which makes sense given that they're busy wedding photographers and obviously couldn't sell off all their Canon gear first.

I agree that they bought the stuff first and then sold off the canon stuff, but to say your are making money on it? You have to calculate that 23% interest from the credit card into that equation. Not even to mention that if this was their business, isn't part of the CODB calculating in replacement stuff? (I'm not saying that I could go out and buy a new system like this without putting it on a credit card or a business loan) Just doesn't seem smart to me.

While I shoot Canon, I will admit that he D750 and D810 have made a big impression on me.

What I find most interesting and funny about this article is that they maxed out their credit cards to purchase 3 d750s and the glass to go with them and then they talk about "making" money on the switch. Not sure that I'm buying that one.
From the read of it, they bought the Nikon gear first, and then went about slowly selling their Canon gear on ebay to pay off their credit cards, which makes sense given that they're busy wedding photographers and obviously couldn't sell off all their Canon gear first.

I agree that they bought the stuff first and then sold off the canon stuff, but to say your are making money on it? You have to calculate that 23% interest from the credit card into that equation. Not even to mention that if this was their business, isn't part of the CODB calculating in replacement stuff? (I'm not saying that I could go out and buy a new system like this without putting it on a credit card or a business loan) Just doesn't seem smart to me.

I doubt they pay 23% interest on their cards if they operate a relatively successful photography business (as they seem to). Also it depends on how quickly they turned over their Canon gear. I'd imagine they could have off loaded most of it within a month on ebay, which would allow them to pay their CCs off before the interest hit.

And the last part of that bit was them calculating in that the Nikon gear would all be new, and thus allow them to need upgrades less soon.

The tilt shifts are a bit unexpected. I assume for special effect and location shots. Seem like a pricy route for only a few shots.

I've been noting a trend in wedding photographers using them--they make interesting photos:

http://gleasonphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/nebraskas-best-wedding-photographer_0025.jpg
Yeah, big time trend in wedding photography. It's absolutely they "hot new" (that isn't all that new) trend. One thing for sure, they give a look that can't really be had any other way that a lot of people really love. To the point of if you're doing high volume wedding stuff, you borderline need one at this point.

lso it depends on how quickly they turned over their Canon gear. I'd imagine they could have off loaded most of it within a month on ebay, which would allow them to pay their CCs off before the interest hit.

according to their for sale page, they only have three lens left and sold off a TON of stuff:

Canon 50 1.2 L – $1050
Canon 85 1.2L II – $1450
Canon 85 1.2L II – $1350
Profoto Air Remote TTL for Canon – $365

Canon 17mm ts/e f/4 – SOLD!
Canon 45 2.8 ts-e – SOLD!
Canon ST E3-RT – SOLD!
Canon 5D Mark III – SOLD!
Canon 100 2.8 macro (non-L) – SOLD!
Canon 135 2.0 L – SOLD!
MeiKe Remote Shutter Release – SOLD!
Canon 24-70 2.8L II – SOLD!
Sigma 35 1.4 Art – SOLD!
Cybersync triggers and receivers – 3 sets, SOLD!
Canon 70-200 2.8L II – SOLD!
3x Cheetah v860 flashes – SOLD!
Canon 24 1.4L II – SOLD!
Sigma 50 1.4 Art – SOLD!
2x Lexar FireWire 800 stackable Card Readers – SOLD!
Canon 135 2.0 L – SOLD!
Canon 1.4 Teleconverter – SOLD!
Canon 35 1.4 L – SOLD!

I figured the T-S lenses were to differentiate their work in on-line portfolios and maybe, their post-wedding blog posts. Real, in-camera T-S photos can have that funky "miniature effect" type of distorted focus plane that many people seem to like. And also, the 24mm T-S would be useful for some architectural type shots of churches and locations, and with a bit of forward tilt on the lens, the 24mm and 45mm would both be useful for effectively deeper depth of field for closer-range shots. I think a lot of today's wedding crowd really likes the various "lensy" looks.

My guess is that the 24 and 45 T-S would be very useful for the pre-wedding engagement sessions.

I figured the T-S lenses were to differentiate their work in on-line portfolios and maybe, their post-wedding blog posts. Real, in-camera T-S photos can have that funky "miniature effect" type of distorted focus plane that many people seem to like. And also, the 24mm T-S would be useful for some architectural type shots of churches and locations, and with a bit of forward tilt on the lens, the 24mm and 45mm would both be useful for effectively deeper depth of field for closer-range shots. I think a lot of today's wedding crowd really likes the various "lensy" looks.

My guess is that the 24 and 45 T-S would be very useful for the pre-wedding engagement sessions.
Yeah, I've seen them a lot with the miniature effects, but also to get a shot of a huge church front with the bride and groom coming out, where the Church building dominates the frame and the bride and groom are somewhat small. It's a cool shot, that a TS really helps with

Tilting the focus plane radically on photos of mundane objects like a single champagne flute, or the wedding rings, whatever, adds that interesting "lensy look" to what are otherwise, pretty mundane photos. adding drama to the place settings, the champagne glasses, whatever, it all adds to that overall differentiating of pro work versus Uncle Bob stuff. I have also started seeing the Tilt-Shift looks in outdoor fashion and adventure editorial work in magazines like GQ and Maxim,etc, and it REALLy is a neat way to isolate/emphasize/separate people who are posed within a landscape or setting. so, I totally get why they went with the two T-S Nikkors.

I thought that buying two 105/2's was...a mistake...I have one, I know what it can do, how it behaves...not all that useful,really.

Tilting the focus plane radically on photos of mundane objects like a single champagne flute, or the wedding rings, whatever, adds that interesting "lensy look" to what are otherwise, pretty mundane photos. adding drama to the place settings, the champagne glasses, whatever, it all adds to that overall differentiating of pro work versus Uncle Bob stuff. I have also started seeing the Tilt-Shift looks in outdoor fashion and adventure editorial work in magazines like GQ and Maxim,etc, and it REALLy is a neat way to isolate/emphasize/separate people who are posed within a landscape or setting. so, I totally get why they went with the two T-S Nikkors.

I thought that buying two 105/2's was...a mistake...I have one, I know what it can do, how it behaves...not all that useful,really.

That's a lot of cheddar for 2 lenses whose "look" is getting threadbare fast in editorial work. TS was hot 5 years ago, not so much now. Maybe their clientele likes it.

The T/S lenses are pretty killer just as straight up wides, aren't they?

They used to be, anyways.

Yeah, people these days often *just* use them for the "miniature effect" but that's really only using them at a fraction of their capability.

Where they really shine is in architecture photos. Benefits of a wide angle with out all the distortion. This way you can get straight buildings with a wide angle.

The "tilt" portion is a bit gimmicky for my tastes.

Sure, but a wedding photographer might buy them as top-notch wides with an extra feature they use sometimes.

Most reactions

Back