Why You Should Lose The Smart Phone

I don't have one, I'll wait til the next fad. lol I really don't have one, I don't feel like I have a need for a smart phone, I guess if I ever do I'll get one. Which I don't think seems likely, but at least I'll wait out the Go Pokemon, go fad!

Says a guy who is making 9 figures a year and can pay 15 people to answer his phone for him.

Eh text messages don't have enough room to get flowery with language - and ify ou're spending that long typing out huge messages get a keyboard :p

Also its a stupid article because - shock horror - flip-phones can text too! It's more likely that he's just no interest in apps and gadgets and bling and stufff and isn't into social media and thus only needs it to actually - you know - call people.

Just read the article and I'm sorry, but it's very silly to go from this article to the conclusion that we should all ditch smartphones.

One successful businessman prefers talking on the phone to texting. Well, that's great. What makes him an authority on communication, or even communication in business? What about the CEO of an equally successful business person who hates taking on the phone and conducts most interactions on email or by text? Why should I listen to one over the other? Why should we all be constrained to one mode of communication?

And the story about the kid who texted during the meeting? Well, that's just rudeness, and that fault belongs to the person, not the phone. If one wants to make the case that smartphones make it easier for people to be rude in more situations, then fair enough, but that argument is not advanced by this article with its one anecdote offered by one businessman who, quite frankly, sounds like a bit of a blowhard.

The trick, as with many many other things, is to simply pay attention, both to social conventions and to the preferences of the person with whom you are doing business.

And as I've already said, it's bullshite to say that one can't convey meaning or emotion in a text. He's essentially saying that one cannot communicate through the written word. And why does he need to convey passion in a text anyway? He's conducting business, not composing an ode to a sunset.

Eh text messages don't have enough room to get flowery with language - and ify ou're spending that long typing out huge messages get a keyboard :p

Point taken, though one does not need flowery language to convey intense emotion or meaning. :)

I don't have one. But not because some rich dude says I shouldn't.

I lost my smart phone once a few years ago . But I went and bought another one since losing the first one caused me to become a billionaire and I figured I could afford it.

Besides, smart phones can be used to make calls so you can talk to people just like a dumb phone.

Also, how much emotion is there in an email? A printed letter? A fax? A handwritten note? Posts in an Internet forum? Text on a monitor?

To infer that not utilizing simple text messages is the key to financial success is..... well,...... ludicrous.

who needs a smartphone !!
I keep my laptop straped to my wrist.

one does not need flowery language to convey intense emotion or meaning
When my wife and I text, it usually contains a string of GIFs or emoticons.. :biglaugh:

Most reactions

Back