Why You Should Watermark Your Photos

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Jim Gratiot, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Jim Gratiot

Jim Gratiot TPF Noob!

2. PhilGarber

PhilGarber TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Damnit, I thought I found this first :greenpbl:. Yeah..pretty interesting. Glad no damage came of it.

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Is that wild or what. Can you believe the guy that ripped off the image said he would send an email apologising for using the image? He thought it was computer generated? Which is still a copyrighted image?

Geez..........

4. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Jim, on the topic of watermarking—and this is really addressed to everyone—how far do you take it?

Personally, I hate watermarks with a passion; those in the centre of the photo are worst, because they simply detract from the image. Smacking a 50% opacity watermark dead centre in every photo is something I'd do for a contact sheet of photos for a paid job, but not for something to be displayed online that I mean to generate exposure; after all, if my subject is muddled by my watermark, who's going to want to look at it for any real length of time?

That said, I find that a watermark in the corner of an image is reasonable; it (almost) guarantees that if the photo is displayed out-of-context by an automated system (like Google images) that my name will be on it so any viewers at least have a place to start searching for more images if they like it. And while yes, someone could crop it out, that would prove their malign intent in a court-of-law, and if it can't be taken to court then (if they're in a country where I wouldn't be able to sue them easily), well, I can't anyway so the point is moot. Finally, unless you watermark the entire image (which I really, really hate), it can be removed by someone skilled enough. :-/

5. andrew99

andrew99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I also saw this story on TV news last night. What are the odds of finding out this has happened? 99.99% of the time you'd never know!

6. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Exactly, if a friend of the family hadn't happened ride by the store they'd never know.

7. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    +1 to what musical said!
    honestly if your image is on the net one should always expect it to be used by someone somewhere at some point - might as well make it a good image with a little signature in the corner - a name and/or website are best - something that people can search on and find your site - its free publicity might as well make use of it!

8. Xristos48

Xristos48 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Lol thats unlucky for them. Goes to show you need to be careful what you put on the internet.

9. Reese's PB Luver

Reese's PB Luver TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Reminds me of "National Lampoon's European Vacation" when the video camera was stolen.... :lol:

I love that the guy thought he'd never be caught using a US family's photo, but he did! :thumbup:

10. Josh220

Josh220 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think watermarking is a good idea for those with professional quality images. The ones that really annoy me are the ones that people slap onto their point-and-shoot snapshots, as if someone would bother stealing their image...

11. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Perhaps, but then there are unfortunately lots of people who know nothing about copyright and think that everything on the net is in the public domain and free for the taking.

skieur

12. UUilliam

UUilliam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the best way to fix this international problem would be if EVERY country enforced a law in which it was deemed Unlawful to use any image that is not property of yours without permission from the original Author (which can include free stock websites if they state it is free to use.)

that way us artists / phtographers (if you dont think photographers are artists)
    wouldn't have to waste time watermarking EVERY image we decide to keep, instead we just upload and then no one is allowed to use it without breaking the law (the above also applys to everything else, stories, poems, drawings, CGI, text etc...)

it would save about 25% of our life as about 25% we are taking images and the other 50% we are working, socializing etc... or wasting time on here xD

maybe not as much as 25% but quite allot of time is spent making watermarks
    so if they governed this law it would therefore mean any content no matter how idiotic and rubbish it is would not be allowed to be used by anyone without permission (i know the law already KIND OF states that but not entirely)