Wide Angle 500$ or sub??

wiredhernandez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have the following gear and a few options in mind. I want to purchase a "relatively" high/decent quality wide angle ~20mm-30mm range zoom. I don't mind buying used but I do want something I will be happy with for years to come. Existing gear listed below. I want something that would be great for portraits and parties etc and taking tourist type shots... Not exceeding the 500$ budget I would love to hear suggestions... Thanks!

Canon 40D
Canon 430 EX flash
Canon 50MM 1.8 (Great when I can use fixed 50mm)
Canon 28 -130mm (Good Overall)
Sigma 28 - 300mm (Good and fast for kids sports... not always super sharp)

IMO, 20-30mm isn't really wide on a 40D. 17 or 18mm is the wide end of a 'normal' zoom lens and a true wide angle is something like 10-12mm.
Seeing as you only have 28mm, I can see why you want something wider...but do you want really wide or just a little wider?

The 17-85mm IS is practically the same lens as your 28-135mm lens....just wider. It's a good overall lens, although it's drawback is the small max aperture.
You could get a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 or a Sigma 18-50mm F2.8...either are great lenses with relatively high quality.
I have both the 17-85 and the Tamron 17-50 and I use them both. The Tamron when I need a wide aperture, high quality lens and the 17-85mm when I want the extra range and IS.

If you want wider, look at something like the Sigma 10-20mm.

I would suggest the following:

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 - Fantastic lens, tack sharp, great color saturation, f/2.8 all the way through.

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 (or the f/3.5) - Pretty much the standard when it comes to ultra wide angles. When the Tammy isnt wide enough, this lens definitely handles the job. Sharp, good color, and very versatile. If you get the new version its f/3.5 all the way through too.

I own both of these lenses and absolutely love them. You can't go wrong with these in your bag and both are under $500.

(Edit: Just do what Mike says lol)

If you want really wide than you cant go wrong with the Sigma 10-20mm

And I want to reply to say Amen!

Last edited:
Why not spend some good money on the good 10-22mm? Unable to be used on a full frame, of course...

But chuck it on a 40D, you get a 16-35mm equiv. lens. ;)

Thanks for all of the responses. I admit I really don't understand crop factor and how different lenses output on my camera.. I was leaning to the Tamron (I had one of their lenses before which I liked) .. Wasn't sure on Sigma brand as I get some fuzzy images which shouldn't be (28 - 300) and I did have to get lens serviced for lock mechanism breaking ( Its cool generally for outdoor kids games etc just haven't been sold 100% on the brand) ... Sounds like the Sigma 10-20 could be a great choice. I will do a bit more homework., Thanks again.

You guys have got my gears cranking. I defintely think I could go for the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 as the most useable all around lens(2.8 all thrus is king). The Tokinas look to be awesome if I decide upon a 27%~ budget increase... I do wonder how they would compare.. I may settle on this range and go for a real wide angle as my photography range/skills improve. Thanks for asking the question "wide or wider" as I really wasnt sure as to what I needed. You guys have been of much help.

Most my lenses are Nikkors, and I am not such a great fan of Sigma (I also bought the 30mm f/1.4 and I can't say I am too happy with it).

With the 10-20mm f/4-5.6 I think Sigma just pulled off a great lens.

I agree with Big Mike. 20-30mm isn't very wide on a 40D. My Tamron 17-50 is my everyday lens (and I love it) but, even at 17mm, it is not wide. I love my Sigma 10-20mm for the wide end (and I'd love something even wider). I use a 30D.

10-20mm Image Gallery

Ian

Most reactions

Back