Wide Angle......Whats good and bad.

Extreme wide angle <14mm ... too much curvature ... distortion get detracting.
Fish eye ... circular image ... lens gets boring too quickly.
Rectilinear wide angle 14-16mm ... does not have the curvature ... just enough wideness.

The focal lens are based on 1.5x crop factor.

What do you like Tweaker, afterall you're in the market, not us :)

I like the 10-20mm range on a 1.5x camera.

Are you using a DX sensor camera or a 35mm film/ FX type camera?

I use 17mm with the 17-50mm F/2.8 for wide angle shots. If I want a little wider, I use the 14mm F/2.8.

Why, because it has the focal length I need.

Just for your information, there is a new version of 10-20mm lens from Sigma.

Yes, the 10-20mm lens is nice. I always want to get one whenever I visit this site 10-20mm.com :drool::drool:

Well to bring this back up,,, I have made a purchase. Tokina 11-16 f2.8. I really haven't had a chance to get out and play with it yet, But from just messing around with it I'm very happy.

Zach

Just for your information, there is a new version of 10-20mm lens from Sigma.

Yes, the 10-20mm lens is nice. I always want to get one whenever I visit this site 10-20mm.com :drool::drool:

Oh my gosh - those pics on that site are amazing and now I totally want to get that lens...it's pretty steep though - like $650. I'm still trying to figure out my versatile lens purchase...24-70mm?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6. It's a great lens-- decently sharp. The geometry distortion bugs me sometimes so I end up fixing it in post.

I think the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 is better though. Actually, I have no need for a wide angle to have any zoom function. A 10mm prime would probably deliver better image quality and would be less expensive to buy. With my Sigma, most of the shots are at 10mm anyway.

Because I use the wide angle lens for mostly landscape I usually shoot at around f/11 or f/16. At f/4 the bokeh is very ugly in my opinion but I suppose it's not the way a wide angle is supposed to be used.

I have the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6. It's a great lens-- decently sharp. The geometry distortion bugs me sometimes so I end up fixing it in post..

That's more a function of focal length than the particular lens.

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 @ 10mm:

grass.jpg

walkway.jpg

fungusfield2.jpg

avshadow.jpg

I have the sigma 10-20 also and love it... also have the 15mm Canon 2.8 and just picked up the 20mm USM canon... Ooooh the suspense and waiting from BHphoto!!!

ALIAS

I have the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6. It's a great lens-- decently sharp. The geometry distortion bugs me sometimes so I end up fixing it in post.

I think the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 is better though. Actually, I have no need for a wide angle to have any zoom function. A 10mm prime would probably deliver better image quality and would be less expensive to buy. With my Sigma, most of the shots are at 10mm anyway.

Because I use the wide angle lens for mostly landscape I usually shoot at around f/11 or f/16. At f/4 the bokeh is very ugly in my opinion but I suppose it's not the way a wide angle is supposed to be used.

Thats a very good point. I mean...the reason one would even buy a UWA is for just that UWA. However, I don't think Canon makes a non fisheye version.

I just read (through a search from tpf) off a site www.juzaphoto.com which compared all the UWA (tamron, tokina, sigma, canon) and the sigma came out on top for value. Obviously the Canon wins it all, but by a slight margin.

Now i'm confused, Sigma or spend the extra 150-200 for a Canon...

Most reactions

Back