Wireless flash trigger - alternate connection methods?

FidelCastrovich

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have these wireless triggers i bought on Ebay, you know the kind - 4 channels, cheap build, work pretty well.
Anyhow, i'm trying to find out whether or not the receiver can be connected to the flash some other way, and not through the hot-shoe. This is because when attached to the receiver, the flash isn't very stable screwed onto my flash stands. It wobbles and generally doesn't inspire confidence. Also, i think it puts the flash further from the umbrella's axis than it shoud be.
So, is there a way?There's some sort of socket on the receiver, but i'm not sure what it's for. It looks exactly like one of the sockets on my 580II.
Anybody know what i'm talking about?

Thanks,
Emil.

PC connector. Just be careful though. The ones in the ebay units rotate some times, so when disconnecting, pull straight out and don't twist or you could sever the wires in the receiver unit. And buy a cable with the screw lock pc connector on one end for the 580 II to make sure the connection is secure.

PC connector. Just be careful though. The ones in the ebay units rotate some times, so when disconnecting, pull straight out and don't twist or you could sever the wires in the receiver unit. And buy a cable with the screw lock pc connector on one end for the 580 II to make sure the connection is secure.

You seem to be speaking from experience. So is it safe to assume that the socket on the receiver is intended for output to the flash? Cause i thought maybe it was a backup socket, to connect the transmitter to the receiver or something, and as such does not transmit any signal, only receives.

Another question - does anyone know if the Vivitar 285hv has this connection(PC) as well?
Because i have a 550ex and it doesn't.

You seem to be speaking from experience. So is it safe to assume that the socket on the receiver is intended for output to the flash? Cause i thought maybe it was a backup socket, to connect the transmitter to the receiver or something, and as such does not transmit any signal, only receives.

Another question - does anyone know if the Vivitar 285hv has this connection(PC) as well?
Because i have a 550ex and it doesn't.

I'm 95% sure it's for triggering. Not all devices have feet for the hotshoe connection, studio strobes, etc...

The 285HV uses a proprietary connection. you'll need a PC to Vivitar connection cable. Be careful though, the Vivitar connecter comes to a point. It's sharp. I've stabbed myself and cute myself with it several times by just sticking my hand in my flash back without looking. And for devices that don't have a connection for a cable, you can get a cable with a hotshoe on the end that will let you fire a flash without having it mounted on the hotshoe of the receiver. They're like $15 from flashzebra.com. I usually reccomend B&H, but the guy that runs Flash Zebra makes the cables and sells them for fairly cheap. Plus he's a member of the Strobist community as well as another DSLR forum I'm a member of.

Lol. My ebay triggers only kinda-sorta worked. I sold them to somebody and they never managed to get them to work. Luck of the draw I guess.

Yes, you can use the PC socket on the radio receiver...you just need a cord to attach it to your flash. I use these all the time with my studio lights. I connect a PC cord from the light to the receiver and that's it...works like a charm. Now if only they would work with my 430EX :roll:

Thanks for the replies. Now i just need to decide whether or not to get the Vivitar and the special cord, or just splurge on another 580II...Because frankly, that flash is just a great piece of equipment, and i sometimes find myself in need of a flash on the second body.

BTW, if your Cactus triggers seem to misfire or mess up your max sync speed - try changing the channels. I just got the V2 version, and they wouldn't sync at 250, only at 200. That is, until i played around with the channels, of which only one worked.
The previous version, which i also have, didn't have this problem.

Most reactions

Back