Word of advise on buying Nikon D7100

Vladyxa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
O master of TPF, newbie here. :hail:
Need final piece of advise.

It is time to replace my D40, to better accomodate 35mm f/1.8 and 18-200mm lenses (man, i feel smart throwing lens specs like that.) :lmao:

I've been doing lot's of research about D7100, comparing it to D600, and D3200 and D5200.

- As I don't want to shell out $2k for D600 and look into getting FX lenses, D600 is out.
- D3200 to me is pretty much upgraded version of my D40 (although very good upgrade). Out.
- D5200 would be perfect, if it was not for newly released D7100. I think D5200 is out too.

So, what's your take on D7100?

I'm still learning about photography, reading books, but I'm pretty confident using modes other than "Auto" (although I am not that confident picking shutter speed yet).
And I want to make sure that when I do learn more and more, the camera can accomodate my needs.

As I can justify in my mind price difference between D5200 and D7100, there should be no question. Right?

Yay, nay?

Thank you!
Vlad

P.S.:
Just say yeah, go for it! So, I can push "Purchase" button in my cart.

Last edited:
Well it's the best DX camera Nikon has right now. DX is fine for 99% of photographers. I don't like the button configuration but that is just me.

- As I don't want to shell out $2k for D600 and look into getting FX lenses, D600 is out.
- D3200 to me is pretty much upgraded version of my D40 (although very good upgrade). Out.
- D5200 would be perfect, if it was not for newly released D7100. I think D5200 is out too.

I think you've answered your own question there, if the 7100 rules out the 5200 and you want to keep your 18-200 then it's a one horse race....unless you want to save a few quid and get the D7000.

My only advice would be to put the letter "c" back in the word advice when asking for advice.

Other than that, dunno..I shoot Canon.

:)

Spend more money and you get a better camera. That's oversimplifying a bit, but it's essentially true.

The rest is what you can afford.

Well it's the best DX camera Nikon has right now. DX is fine for 99% of photographers. I don't like the button configuration but that is just me.

Sounds like "Yay" to me!

I think you've answered your own question there, if the 7100 rules out the 5200 and you want to keep your 18-200 then it's a one horse race....unless you want to save a few quid and get the D7000.

18-200 seems small enough to carry around, and so far no complaints about quality. When I was thinking about differences between D7000 and D7100, I thought to myself that I will likely would be upset less about spending more and getting more of a camera, than spending less and realizing that I should have gone for D7100.

Ok then. That's another "Yay" :thumbup:

My only advice would be to put the letter "c" back in the word advice when asking for advice.

Other than that, dunno..I shoot Canon.

:)

I'am ashamed... And I corrected the title. )

Thank you!

Spend more money and you get a better camera. That's oversimplifying a bit, but it's essentially true.

The rest is what you can afford.

Thank you! That is the approach I am taking.

So, another "Yay"

D7100...as runnah said, it's currently the best DX camera Nikon has on the market...it sure seems to be a nice camera to me...high-end focus system, 24MP sensors, one-touch 100% image review on the LCD, good color, compact,light, has built-in AF motor in the body, remote TTL flash commander built-in...

The principles of photography don't change as the price of the camera goes up and it's not clear exactly what you would learn that would require a more expensive camera. Clarifying that would help you make a precise decision. Without that, I'd say stick with the D40 or get either the D3100 or D5100, both great cameras for the beginner or enthusiast. If you're approaching it as if the camera will improve your photography, you've lost no matter which camera you get.

18-200 seems small enough to carry around, and so far no complaints about quality. When I was thinking about differences between D7000 and D7100, I thought to myself that I will likely would be upset less about spending more and getting more of a camera, than spending less and realizing that I should have gone for D7100.

Well that depends, the D7100 is more advanced than the D7000 but much of that advantage would be negated when shooting with the 18-200, I've got a D7000 and an 18-200 and frankly the lens is very much the weak link even with an older, lower resolution body like that. If you're planning to upgrade your glass then sure the 7100 makes sense but if you're going to stick with the 18-200 then the 7000 is a more than good enough body.

The principles of photography don't change as the price of the camera goes up and it's not clear exactly what you would learn that would require a more expensive camera. Clarifying that would help you make a precise decision. Without that, I'd say stick with the D40 or get either the D3100 or D5100, both great cameras for the beginner or enthusiast. If you're approaching it as if the camera will improve your photography, you've lost no matter which camera you get.

True enough but older cameras have some bad limitations... And the d40 particularly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back