Working with a photographer

tonia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does Anyone need an assistant photographer in Southern California??

:?:

Haha, this is great ;)

Have you tried calling all the Major/Minor studios in your area? Like, places that deal with Senior/Kids portraits usually hire assistants all the time, and, having lived in LA, and trotting along with my dad when he did Pro Photo work in the area, I know that there are TONS of places like that in Socal.

Thank you for that advice. I have tried various places, but have had no luck.
I'm currious, why you thought that questions was "great"??

I will keep trying

tonia said:
PS. where would you suggest I call??

Well, I just thought it was funny that someone would ask that question on a message board, thats all :p

Also, I don't know of any specific places anymore (When I went to them, I was 7 years old!) but I'd suggest calling place that deal with mass portraits (Like Senior Portraits) and you should be able to find those by looking in the Yellow Pages.

Just make sure you have a decently strong portfolio to show them if you get an appointment ;)

Tonia,

It's a bit difficult to help you with your question since geography makes it harder to know what the market is like.

Some general pointers: most college graduates in photography are in the college system and their tutors often have links to working photographers - try and make the best use of any of your network links that you have. This is old school and it's still the way most photographers hire assistants.

You could try sticking up a business card in developing & printing houses; magazines too. I wouldn't recommend an amateur photography forum like this one.....any pro' who frequents it like me clearly is spending too much time dossing around an internet forum instead of getting on with his work ;)

If that doesn't work, then decide on which subject interests you and start trying to get your portfolio seen by photographers interested in your field. They won't necessarily offer a position....but they might keep your name on file if they ever need anyone.

Best of luck - it's not easy breaking in so don't give up. If the worse comes to worse, getting some experience in a d&p house for a while is much better than working in a cafe.

Most reactions

Back