Working with Female models is tough

Pedro_lopez

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lately I've been asking my female friends to practice with me on some photo shoot ideas, and some of them have shot with other photographers so they sure don't hold back on their experiences.

I'm learning that females are tough to work with, I get certain poses work well for their angles but overall when I sent them the photos to see if they like certain edits they are definitely not shy about telling me that they don't like certain photos.

It's tough too since I have my own creative vision, but also have a need to please them so they will want to shoot with me again.

Not trying to complain, I actually welcome the challenge, just so far after two or three shoots with females I've realized most have the same pattern when it comes to voicing their opinions on their photos.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I dunno...I've always felt that female models were easier to work with than men. Models always have "opinions" on what they like, and how they appear in photos. My feeling is that some models are exceptionally self-critical, and have seriously distorted body/face image issues, with some of them thinking things like, "My lips are too fat!", or "I look hippy in jeans!", or whatever.

I once had a model reject a fine image that I really liked. She said, "I was feeling like my one eyebrow was not quite on fleek that day.I don't like that picture."

Seriously. Not kidding!

You wrote that,
"... just so far after two or three shoots with females I've realized most have the same pattern when it comes to voicing their opinions on their photos." My comment would be that, after so few shoots, whatever you're learning from these models might be areas to focus on, to see if you can address the kinds of issues they're bringing up. Many times when a person is starting out, shoots are really collaborations, with the model and the photographer both able to contribute something of value.

Since they are friends, memorize the following: "Yes, dear. Whatever you say." If they are not friends, and it is strictly a business relationship, you can say "Yes, of course. Whatever you say." Things will go much better.
:p

I actually think that's a fantastic learning opportunity for you. If you can get detailed feedback about what they do and don't like, you can start to see patterns and learn what your priorities should be when you're directing future shoots. Most people will be polite to your face, despise their photos and never let you know so that you can't ever fix it. Having friends that are honest with you gives you a huge advantage over other photographers trying to improve.

I understand that it's discouraging and difficult to hear. But if you plan to be a professional photographer, your client's opinion will always have value. If you're purely a hobby photographer, then your creative vision is the only thing that will ever matter. But if you want to make money, then you have to learn to understand what your client wants (whether it's the model or a 3rd party) and find a way to incorporate that.

Personally, I love shooting women, especially young women. With the selfie craze, they know how to find their light and how to pose in flattering positions, so they only require small adjustments from me. And as for feedback? Oh, I've taken some incredibly harsh feedback, both from models and from other photographers. I can't even tell you how many tears I've cried or how many times I swore I was giving up forever. But when I'm done, I listen to what they had to say, and try to incorporate it. Sometimes I've decided they were wrong. But most of the time, my photography has improved drastically, even if it was only a simple technique.

Try to listen and not take it personally. It will all make you better in the end.

Since they are friends, memorize the following: "Yes, dear. Whatever you say." If they are not friends, and it is strictly a business relationship, you can say "Yes, of course. Whatever you say." Things will go much better.
:p

Sounds much like a marriage. :76:

I do feel like my photos are getting better. This last shoot was at night, and from my last experience of shadows causing bad things to show I brought a portable LED light that attaches to the shoe mount. I tried with and without, and she immediately noticed once I started using the light that the photos looked better.

There's a big difference between a model and a friend who is modelling for you. Friends who model for you very likely don't have an objective view of their own body.

...she immediately noticed once I started using the light that the photos looked better.
Are you managing the model's expectations? That is, are they aware that you're sill in the beginning stages of learning, or are they expecting someone with a bit of experience?

I do feel like my photos are getting better. This last shoot was at night, and from my last experience of shadows causing bad things to show I brought a portable LED light that attaches to the shoe mount. I tried with and without, and she immediately noticed once I started using the light that the photos looked better.

Using auxilliary or ancillary lighting equipment has a way of improving photographic results in many scenarios, especially if that lighting gear is being used in a decent way! Lighting can be critical! Good lighting can add catchlights, can fill in ugly shadows, and can define shape and texure, and so on. Lighting is probably the most-neglected skill development area for many people as they are starting out in their photographic journey; as you've been informed, adding some light can immediately produce different results.

I have to ask: do you own a large-ish reflector of some type? Do you use it?

A reflector with a stand is a great start and fairly cheap. Highly recommended.

You can also get a yongnuo wireless speedlight with a wireless trigger, stand, and umbrella.. all for about $150. It isn't pro quality stuff by any means, but it's incredible to learn with.

I'm admittedly not very skilled at posing people and could learn a lot regarding portrait composition. But my senior portrait sessions continue to sell and people compliment me on how great they think they are all the time. The biggest difference between me and other local photographers is that I ALWAYS use off camera lighting to improve my portrait sessions.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic.. just elaborating on what others have already said.

Rectangular or square reflectors can sometimes be placed on the floor, or on the ground, and just leaned afgainst one's own knee, or leaned against a tripod or light stand, without using any type of grip or clamp.

A few years back I saw a guy who did a lot of senior portrairts using two roughly 48 inch wide by 60-inch tall PVC frame type reflectors whih he had wired or lashed together, used mostly in a "sandwich board" type configuration (you know, kind of like a capital letter ' A ' when seen from the side of the two reflectors), OR, althernately, lashed together at the top and bottom of the long sides, and used in a V-flat or "opened book standing on bottom of covers" type configuration. He was acrtually selling these two reflector sets, as I recall. They worked GREAT, and needed NO stand!

Thanks
Lately I've been asking my female friends to practice with me on some photo shoot ideas, and some of them have shot with other photographers so they sure don't hold back on their experiences.

I'm learning that females are tough to work with, I get certain poses work well for their angles but overall when I sent them the photos to see if they like certain edits they are definitely not shy about telling me that they don't like certain photos.

It's tough too since I have my own creative vision, but also have a need to please them so they will want to shoot with me again.

Not trying to complain, I actually welcome the challenge, just so far after two or three shoots with females I've realized most have the same pattern when it comes to voicing their opinions on their photos.

What do you guys think?

Tell them thanks for the feedback. Luckily there are some you do like. I just sent all of them. Just toss the ones you don't like. Thanks for helping me out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back