Working with glass

angel-il6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all.
I am new here, and would like to get some help about taking pictures of glasses.
As you can see in the attachments, I have carved into some glasses, and I would like to have some beautiful pictures of my work.
http://picasaweb.google.com/dinar603/Purim2010?feat=directlink
Only my results are very poor.
I would like some advice about how to take such picture. And maybe also some photo shop advice on how to make them better.

Thanks
Angel

I believe most would suggest using a Circular Polarized filter to eliminate the reflections. I'm not to well versed on product shots but this may be a situation where its better to get some constant light on the glasses and turn off the flash? If not someone will correct me.

This is a really good source book for understanding lighting situations and certain materials. There is a chapter devoted to lighting glass.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Light-Science-Introduction-Photographic-Lighting/dp/0240808193/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267014002&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting (9780240808192): Fil Hunter, Steven Biver, Paul Fuqua: Books[/ame]

When working with glass and artificial lighting, always light from the back. This prevents the glare that's caused from front lighting. Try to get rid of as much ambient light as possible (windows, lights in the room, etc.) that could also be adding to the glaring.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
...I find that it's best to shoot near a window, using filtered sunlight. In order to prevent glare from the lights provided, you usually have to place them far from the light box.
I think the opposite is true. You'll want to increase the size of the light source by moving closer to the light tent and using diffusion material to soften the light even further to reduce specular highlights. Unless of course, you are after contrasty light which will fall off the subject quickly.

Here's a tutorial on lighting reflective material in a light tent.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back