Would like some C&C on these portrait/landscape

Craddosk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These were taken today, and have some post-processing done to them.

1)
DSC_0086.jpg

2)
DSC_0073-Version2.jpg

3)
DSC_0069.jpg

Good and Bad C&C is appreciated. How can I improve these?

Taken with a Nikon D40x, 55-200mm VR lens, ISO 100.

1 is good but 2 is way awesome!

I am not much for people photography so 3 did not do much for me, but technically all 3 are good shots.

hmm
1 is interesting, but try rotating it about 0.5 or 0.25 degrees clockwise - only a little nudge needed ;)
2 I really like! Especially the blue on the glass. Both 1 and 2 are very sharp and clear with good lighting!
3 I don't know about this one - I wonder if its the right aspect - a closer crop might be better - not as sure here. Interseting lighting though in the sky - is the sun behind the building or is that the effect of the white building on the camera or is it post production edting?

1 is tilted slightly

2 is real nice

3 It looks like the building is a cap on her. Maybe if the building was just to the right of her?

You live in Edmonton!
#2 is fantastic.

In addition to the other comments (which I agree with), some things to consider:

1 is a bit overexposed. If you have this raw, I bet you could bring it down really easily.

2 would be really cool with a touch of sharpening- really bring out those details. Neat shot.

First off, I love the composition of #1. The framing that the trees provide is excellent. The slight tilt to the image COMPLETELY kills it, though. As mentioned before, a slight rotate will fix this problem. (You also appear to have a wee bit of barrel distortion as well, but that isn't a huge deal.)

#2 is great! I love all the lines in it as the color of the sky reflecting in the windows.

#3 is awkward for me. As mentioned, the building seems to be growing out of her head. In portraits, the background should frame the person, not contact them. The lighting also isn't very preferable in this shot. Maybe the use of some fill flash would have helped brighten up her face, but right now, the light only gets on her shoulder and is leaving her face dark. Although I add vignetting to most of my portraits, I think you went a bit overboard with this one. If it were me, I'd tone down the vignetting quite a bit. Lastly, the crop on her body is a little weird. A general rule of thumb is to not crop a portrait at a body joint. With this one, you've cropped off her far elbow and her waist. If you were to crop the image a little tighter so all of her elbow is out of the image, I think the shot would be better.

Most reactions

Back