16x20 - $75
Adiidtional sizes and finishes
may be available

High Resolution Digital Image CD
$85
Photobooks Starting From
$125

Last edited:
And sorry about the layout/format - it keeps getting messed up when I try to edit it on here.

Is that the way it's set up on your contract. I wouldn't like to read that straight down. I would want two per side going down. A 4x4 square essentially. This might will make a it a little more easy to read. I think the prices are ok but I dont' know how much experience you have.

I would also reconsider those 50-200+ retouched photos. By retouching what exactly do you mean. If you're doing comestic flaws on the face, like actually RETOUCHING them, then I would reconsider the price. Seems a little bit cheap for that much retouching.

If you are just doing color correction, exposure adjustments, then I wouldn't consider that actual retouching.

As far as the structure just have them side by side and not going down like this

Weddings Portrait

Package A Package A

Package B

I guess you might get the idea

~Michael~

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, they are in two columns, wedding and portraits, with a line dividing, and it is much easier to read - I just couldn't get it to do that on here, the formatting kept jumping around.

Very good point about "retouching." For the large prints, I go into much more detail, but for the regular prints, it is the basic color adjustments/exposure/contrast etc. What would be a more appropriate way of saying that? (that is also short and easy to understand).

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, they are in two columns, wedding and portraits, with a line dividing, and it is much easier to read - I just couldn't get it to do that on here, the formatting kept jumping around.

Very good point about "retouching." For the large prints, I go into much more detail, but for the regular prints, it is the basic color adjustments/exposure/contrast etc. What would be a more appropriate way of saying that? (that is also short and easy to understand).

If that's the case, then i wouldn't say 200+ or however many are going to be retouched. I think every photo should be color corrected no matter what but maybe 5-20 TRUE Retouched photos would be good.

~Michael~

I agree, Your wedding prices seem a bit low. Not sure about your region but I live in the St. Louis, MO metro area and I charge 1,000 flat with no prints but i do cover pre ceremony, ceremony and reception. I provide the customer a disc with their photos and copyright release. I do guaranty at least 325+ photos but do not specify how many will be retouched because until I get home and see the photos I don't know what my eye will pick up on to edit. I usually end up with around 1500 photos but if I guaranty a lower number the customer is more happy when they get more.

I agree, Your wedding prices seem a bit low. Not sure about your region but I live in the St. Louis, MO metro area and I charge 1,000 flat with no prints but i do cover pre ceremony, ceremony and reception. I provide the customer a disc with their photos and copyright release. I do guaranty at least 325+ photos but do not specify how many will be retouched because until I get home and see the photos I don't know what my eye will pick up on to edit. I usually end up with around 1500 photos but if I guaranty a lower number the customer is more happy when they get more.

From a customers perspective, this is great.. I wonder how many photographers do this? Anyone else here? I'm curious to see people's reaction to giving the CD and copyright release. It also makes it simpler for the photographer.. no need for proofs or setting up a website for the customer to view and order prints.

as a budding photographer it isn't all that reassuring to see so many wedding photographers handing over a CD of the images will full copyrights.

i know there are a number of different ways to structure your business and everyone's will be different based on their market and what the client requires.

but, i see so many photographers shooting $800 weddings and just burning a CD with the images and walking away. i guess that is a good way to make a quick buck on the weekend.

i'm hoping to drive my business more toward print packages with an option to purchase digital packages. there seems to be a little of both methods in my area, so if i can improve my technique and provide a valuable product i think i can charge what i feel is compensatory without giving up all the rights.

of course, i am very new to this and could very likely change my mind as i get further into this arena.

great topic.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I have been told my prices are low by some people, and I can see that. However, I am new in the business, and I am from a small town. Compared to others in the area, I am close in price. Not so much lower that I am undercutting the market, but I feel that I am charging a fair price based on my experience.

I have definatley thought about uping my prices, but offering discounts. As we all know, when your price starts low, it can be almost impossible to offer discounts.

As far as prints vs. disk, I have decided that I would like to be someone who deals with prints. I have a fantastic local printer, with decent prices. In town there are cheaper prints, and the quality can often suffer. I like knowing that the images I give to my customers are the best I can make them. I want to retain the quality control. Also, I dont believe that giving away the disk and copyrights is always the best. That is why I have the option to purchase a disk of high res images as well.

When it comes to the number of shots, I like to promise on the low side, and then really wow them with the number of GREAT shots. I want every one of those 200+ shots to be worth putting on your wall. I shoot an average of 1200-1500 shots in a full day, so there are many to choose from, but most of those will never go to the client. My last 6 hour wedding had 287 prints/high res files go to the couple. Should I be aiming for more? is 500 a better target?

Thanks again, I look forward to hearing some more responses.

Just a few thoughts, though they are more general in nature.

I don't know if I like it when a package like your $250/2 hour package is offered by photographers. I just think about it like this.

If you are a fulltime wedding photographer and do 50 weddings a year, that's $12,500 before any expenses. Needless to say, when you simply factor in equipment, batteries, and memory cards, you're making next to nothing.

For two hours of shooting and post processing time, $250 is a reasonable number, but why even bother offering it when you make so little?

Granted, few people will go for the 2 hour coverage, and you mentioned that you are just getting into this business and from a small town, but there are people who are willing to spend over $250 on photography, so why bother allowing those who purchase the two hour coverage to take advantage of your time?

I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that I don't see it as making $250, but rather losing the $400 you would make if someone bought the next package up.

I will say, though, that your packages look reasonable, just remember to raise them once you have more experience under your belt.

Cheerio.

If you are a fulltime wedding photographer and do 50 weddings a year, that's $12,500 before any expenses. Needless to say, when you simply factor in equipment, batteries, and memory cards, you're making next to nothing.

Let's not forget, insurance (liability and equipment), taxes, marketing, fuel, and shipping too.

As far as prints vs. disk, I have decided that I would like to be someone who deals with prints. I have a fantastic local printer, with decent prices. In town there are cheaper prints, and the quality can often suffer. I like knowing that the images I give to my customers are the best I can make them. I want to retain the quality control. Also, I dont believe that giving away the disk and copyrights is always the best. That is why I have the option to purchase a disk of high res images as well.

When it comes to the number of shots, I like to promise on the low side, and then really wow them with the number of GREAT shots. I want every one of those 200+ shots to be worth putting on your wall. I shoot an average of 1200-1500 shots in a full day, so there are many to choose from, but most of those will never go to the client. My last 6 hour wedding had 287 prints/high res files go to the couple. Should I be aiming for more? is 500 a better target?

Thanks again, I look forward to hearing some more responses.

If you want to control quality, $85 for a high-resolution disc is not going to prevent people from buying it to make cheap prints. I know you say you're new to this but you need to factor in the "if they want it bad enough, they will pay for it" part of that price along with how much you stand to lose in print profit.

Also, it's a personal decision but I NEVER promise a certain amount of shots.

Last edited:
$85 for a high-resolution disc is not going to prevent people from buying it to make cheap prints.

That's why as well as giving my clients a CD with high res images, also what they are paying for is prints I print myself from a high quality lab.

I hate it when someone goes with MY pictures and prints them at Wal-Mart, or even something like Costco. They're not good at all and don't really look into printing. I'm sure I will offend someone by saying that though. To me, places like that, print and package and don't look at the photograph. They see a picture to be printed.

I don't want MY work looking bad (even though I did a great job with the photos) because I just handed them a CD and said print wherever you would like because I have to keep a reputation and it's MY photos they will be printing.

~Michael~

Most reactions

Back