EOS R5 problem - help please

Onz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey guys,

I need your help, I've spend hours searching online, watching videos, and trouble shooting but I'm completely frustrated and stuck. I've been shooting for 9 years and never had such a problem before. I've shot for 4 years on the 6d mk2, I've been shooting for tourism websites and it's been amazing.

Finally upgraded to an R5 - but I'm completely stuck and confused by a huge discrepancy with the exposure simulation feature - which was known as Live View on the DSLR cameras and my 6D mk2.

The problem is, no matter what I do, it doesn't work properly... It works before taking the photo, but once I take the photo the result is a massive increase in exposure. For example, if my screen shows a correctly exposed scene, once I take the shot the image is overexposed. But then if I try to underexpose by a few stops on my screen, then the resulting image is still over exposed! Even if I massively underexpose on my screen by like 5 stops, to the point where it is almost completely dark, I still get an image that is significantly lit up and super bright.

I can't shoot like this, I can't work like this, and I can't believe I've wasted so many hours trying to fix a problem that never existed on my 6D mkii :'(

Any help would be much appreciated, here's what I've already tried:

1. Reset camera settings
  2. Update firmware
  3. Obviously this is all in manual
  4. Auto lighting optimizer is off (as is always in manual)
  5. This occurs both indoors and outdoors
thanks to anyone that tries to help

hey guys,

I need your help, I've spend hours searching online, watching videos, and trouble shooting but I'm completely frustrated and stuck. I've been shooting for 9 years and never had such a problem before. I've shot for 4 years on the 6d mk2, I've been shooting for tourism websites and it's been amazing.

Finally upgraded to an R5 - but I'm completely stuck and confused by a huge discrepancy with the exposure simulation feature - which was known as Live View on the DSLR cameras and my 6D mk2.

The problem is, no matter what I do, it doesn't work properly... It works before taking the photo, but once I take the photo the result is a massive increase in exposure. For example, if my screen shows a correctly exposed scene, once I take the shot the image is overexposed. But then if I try to underexpose by a few stops on my screen, then the resulting image is still over exposed! Even if I massively underexpose on my screen by like 5 stops, to the point where it is almost completely dark, I still get an image that is significantly lit up and super bright.

I can't shoot like this, I can't work like this, and I can't believe I've wasted so many hours trying to fix a problem that never existed on my 6D mkii :'(

Any help would be much appreciated, here's what I've already tried:

1. Reset camera settings
  2. Update firmware
  3. Obviously this is all in manual
  4. Auto lighting optimizer is off (as is always in manual)
  5. This occurs both indoors and outdoors
thanks to anyone that tries to help
Are exposures accurate in normal metering mode?

I have found the exposure preview to be accurate except when using external flash. In that case it is often way off. The preview will look correct but the resulting photo severely over exposed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back