Would like to try medium format - suggestions? Zeiss Ikon 6x9? Koni Omega?

You mentioned portraits, i would recommend a mamiya C330 just like i have bought with the super sharp 80mmF2.8 and it has interchangeable lenses
27 years out of date FP4
Scan054-L.jpg

So which one did you buy and how were the results?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEISS-IKON-SUPER-IKONTA-532-16-VERY-GOOD-CONDITION-/280840026418?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item41635eb932#ht_500wt_906]Zeiss Super Ikonta Dual Format Rangefinder Film Camera C531 /2 1938 | eBay

Zeiss/Ikon Super Ikonta | eBay.

Just to note, the Super Ikonta's seem to have a back marked 6x9 no matter what size they actually are. Likely a money saving thing but no matter, look for the size of the opening in the back to make sure if the seller doesn't know. Small tall rectangle for 6x4.5. square for 6x6 and large rectangle (long) for 6x9.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So which one did you buy and how were the results?

Thanks everyone for all the info. I bought a Yashica Mat 124G off ebay for $150. Keeping my fingers crossed that it is as described.

I was also looking at the Graflex 22 and Moskva 5, but the ones I was watching were selling for $80-100. I saw some of the older Zeiss Ikonta sell for $30 but the Super Ikontas go for close to $200. I figured for a little more I could get the YashMat and there are so many good reviews on it, plus they are only 30 years old as opposed to 60 years so hopefully a little more reliable.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback, I bought a 5 pack of Fujia Neopan ISO 100, I'll post some pictures once I get some results.
Scott

Last edited:
I bought a Yashica Mat 124G off ebay for $150. Keeping my fingers crossed that it is as described.

... with working meter ?

It was listed as "great condition" so that would be nice. I do have a sekonic analog light meter so its not a necessity, plus I've heard those old ones aren't too accurate. But you can get replacement batteries? We'll find out, hopefully it comes this week.

I bought some B&W Fujia Neopan ISO 100, if anyone has any other recommendations for film, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks,
Scott

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Rollei/Agfa Pan25 or Ilford Pan-F Plus ... processed in Rodinal.

You should also try some Efke Aura IR820 infrared (with appropriate IR filter)

Just got the camera yesterday and it seems to be in good condition. Good glass and the shutter seems to function well at all speeds. There was half shot old roll of Ilford 50 in there, so I might develop it out of curiosity.

DXK and Kamelean, thanks for the film suggestions. I don't have my own dark room, so I'm not sure who does Rodinal processing. I've had film developed at Dwayne's photo before, so maybe I'll send my 120 film to them for now...

Kamelean, about 10 years ago I was developing some Super8 kodachrome and they charged only a few bucks. Less than Dwayne's, which is where they must send it, I don't know, maybe they lose money on some of their processing charges.

Looking forward to getting it outside and playing with my new toy :)
Scott

Looking forward to getting it outside and playing with my new toy :)Scott

Hey, it's not a toy ... it's a serious camera !!

Labs won't use Rodinal, as it is a non-replenishing developer ... if you should consider developing B&W yourself as it is not that difficult as you only need a dark bag (no need for a room) just to load the film.

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the feedback. I just got back my first two rolls of 120 film back from Dwaynes photo (1 roll Fuji Neopoan 100 and 1 roll Kodak Ektar 100). I think I'm going to really enjoy this camera. Here's a couple samples. This was mostly a camera test, I think all pictures were taken with overcast 11 rule (100 ISO film, 1/100, f/11), but I'm always open C&C.
Thanks!
Scott

1. Neopan 100 (1/100, f/11)

2. Kodak Ektar 100 (1/100th, f11)
120b.jpg

3. Kodak Ektar 100 (1/100th, f11)
120c.jpg

4. Kodak Ektar 100 (1/100th, f11)
120d.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, looks like you need to get your Sekonic light meter working (unless you can get the built in meter working).

I had an old GE ... though its currently on eBay.

Hmm, looks like you need to get your Sekonic light meter working (unless you can get the built in meter working).

I had an old GE ... though its currently on eBay.

Yeah, its working and I had it. :) I should have trusted it as it was reading close to about as I was close to a stop overexposed I think. I was a little preoccupied because I was having film advance issues as the camera was not winding after the first exposure. After a waste of a few captures worth of film, I was able to get it working.

The built in meter doesn't work, but I might give that hearing aid battery / copper wire trick a try.

You mentioned portraits, i would recommend a mamiya C330 just like i have bought with the super sharp 80mmF2.8 and it has interchangeable lenses
27 years out of date FP4
Scan054-L.jpg

GORJUS.

Most reactions

Back