Would this be too risky?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, I am getting the lowepro flipside 300 bag in about a week. My local store has it, but theyre asking $110 for it. Amazon has it for $73, and ebay has it for $60. Can you really go wrong with a bag? I know not to buy the more expensive things like a $6000 camera body with 7 'lenses' for $1000 from them, but is there really much margin of error with a camera bag? I can post a link if youd like, they have a return policy and 100% feedback after selling 8455 items. It seems good to me. Any thoughts?

Mark

If you've checked the bag out in person, like it, and it's reputable online seller, then why not? What's the risk?

Ive looked at it online ALOT, and in the expensive store (asking more than the retail on lowepros website), and I do like it. It should hold all of my equipment as well as the equipment I want to get. The risk is almost nothing. I just really wanted everyones opinions about Ebay and non-electronic/non-expensive items like this.

Thanks.
Mark

People use eBay all the time for expensive, non-expensive, electronic, random nick knacks, collectibles, etc. As long as the seller has good feedback and such, go for it. Personally, I've never had a single problem with anything eBay-related.

I got my bag off ebay. Slingshot 100AW.
It was $90 at Best Buy and $35 (with free ship) from a seller with lots of great feedback on ebay.
I'm no expert on camera bags, but I felt pretty comfortable buying. The bag was brand new and perfect. I say go for it

Ive seen cases where people buy certain items and recieve others (lenses in package deals) and what lenses they do get are low-quality glass and everything. Ive never bought anything like that from Ebay, but those are the stories I hear. I mean a $60 bag is much different than a $5300 300mm F/2.8 Nikkor lens, but still.

Mark

I mean a $60 bag is much different than a $5300 300mm F/2.8 Nikkor lens, but still.
Exactly.

Are you thinking that someone's going to list one bag and send you something completely different? Highly unlikely, but even if so, you said yourself they have a return policy. Reputable sellers don't get to be that way with good feedback by scamming people. Furthermore, eBay itself has policies in place that would be in your favor if that happened.

do you have to pay shipping for the ebay one or is $60 w/ the shipping built in...

if u have to pay shipping i would just get the amazon one... at least then u know it's ez to return and such... but that's just me...

My only thought would be if you went to the local store (expensive) and physically looked and tried out the bag and then go buy it somewhere else. The store has a lot of overhead that the online places do not. These local spots are going out of business fast. Here in Oregon I know of several that have gone under. One day there will be no place to go and try it out and ask for help and advice. Although I certainly understand trying to get the best deal, I am just pointing out the downside.
My 2 cents.

I have bought quite a few Mercedes-Benz ( I use to mod them and resell them) on ebay without a single problem so even lenses and cameras I think are safe. It is just a question of doing your homework and you seem to have done it.

The one thing that a lot of people seem to forget to check however is what the feedback comes from. I wouldn't buy from someone if most of his feedback comes from buying rather than selling. I've run into a few people like that.

Also, the more you know about what you're buying the easier it is to figure out when a seller doesn't really know the subject. It is important to be able to recognize that because, even though the seller is not necessarily lying, he may not be able to give an accurate description of the object for sale. I've seen that more than a few times with both autos and photo gear.

Other than that, I don't see any problem with ebay.

I bought mine from adorama had no problems never mind spending a little extra if needed to support a great store! I don't like taking chances anymore with ebay,

I would see if the store would give a discount or see if there are any other sellers in your area.
Most people overlook the advantages to buying local like;
In local stores, if you have a problem, you can walk in and talk to them, good luck doing that with the over sea eBay seller.
You are supporting your local economy. And that helps to create jobs.
Low Risk of counterfeit goods (Yes that includes Camera Bags)

I have to say that I could have bought a lot of my gear on the internet, but I chose to buy from my local shops, I do not regret it for a second. I have had times where something broke or I needed something on location and the suppliers I deal with brought what I needed to me at no charge. I want to see an internet retailer do that.

Most reactions

Back