would you risk...

mentos_007

The Freshmaker!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
dunno if this is the right section for such a things.. but yesterday I was at the photogs meetup, and we had a gues. He is a famous Polish photojurnalist, who had been to Iraq for 5 times during the last 2 years. He talked a lot about how the life of the photog there looks like, about the risk, and everything. and at the end he showed us his pictures from the last trip. They were breathtaking... so would you risk, and if offered a well-payed job as a photog, go to a country "eaten" by a war??

Some may very well take the risk, as it is their means to make ends meet, but I would be too chicken. Well, I am too little pro, anyway, think: "not at all", I am quite old, I am a mother of two... so that might as well be three good reasons against going to a country that suffers from war.

In 1977, at 17, I thought it pretty harmless to travel to Northern-Ireland ... which made everyone else's hair stand up! Ah well, but I did not go there to take photos (I did take a few, all quite bad, mind) but to see friends, so with them I was well protected. But I am mentioning it to show you that when you are younger and less "settled" and "bound" with kids and so on, you might think about such matters differently.

Nope!

I've read loads of books by great journalists, from TV to radio to photography and newspapers. Although their experiences are often breath-taking and the results are unquestionably admirable, especially when bringing news back to the rest of the world, I can't possibly imagine actually doing it.

There's enough uncomfortable nastiness close to home, which would merit photographing and documenting, but I just don't have that pull towards it. Some do, however, and they're good to do it.

That's just me though - plenty of people have that inspiration to go and cover wars, especially when they want to change the world with their images. I don't consider it much of a life though and I can't think of anything more dangerous to do as an occupation! I'm glad there are other people out there doing it though.

Rob

If I thought I could take the stress and actually be of any use to anyone, then I would. I've no-one to leave behind if something happens so that's not going to be a worry to me. Chance are though I'd **** myself and want my mummy.

30 years ago I would have. Young and no attachments and looking for adventure, sure.

Now, married to the most wonderful woman in the world, (for me....) I wouldn't think about it. Had enough adventures and don't need any more.

Yes, I think I would. For some reason God forgot to give me fear of violence, even though I myself am a ver peaceful guy... so doing something like that wouldn't really rattle me, it would excite me. Hah, I'd probably get killed though!

But chasing celebrities is NOT something I'd ever do. IMO that's not even art.

Verbal said:
Yes, I think I would. For some reason God forgot to give me fear of violence, even though I myself am a ver peaceful guy... so doing something like that wouldn't really rattle me, it would excite me. Hah, I'd probably get killed though!

But chasing celebrities is NOT something I'd ever do. IMO that's not even art.

It's not. It's "I WANT FAME! I WANT MONEY! I WANT FAME! I WANT MONEY!GREEDY GREEDY GREED GREED!"

I hate the idea of celebrity-chasing.

But going to a war zone as a photjournalist I would think of as a really exciting opportunity. I think I'm pretty much on the same page as Verbal. Sure there are risks, but there would be so many incredible opportunities. Travelling and exploring other cultures like this is something I would really like to do, and going somewhere like Iraq would be really exciting IMO.

Unimaxium said:
I hate the idea of celebrity-chasing.

But going to a war zone as a photjournalist I would think of as a really exciting opportunity. I think I'm pretty much on the same page as Verbal. Sure there are risks, but there would be so many incredible opportunities. Travelling and exploring other cultures like this is something I would really like to do, and going somewhere like Iraq would be really exciting IMO.

Road trip? :mrgreen:

Family would get in my way, just exclude the fact I would be away from them for too long the possibility I may never come back makes it impossible for me. I do not know how the troops do it.

On the other hand, I would LOVE to go to third world countries and document some of the villages’ ways of life. Maybe help out a little too by delivering clean water to the villages. As for celebs, I do not even care enough to comment - guess I just did.

I would totally do it.

I'm young, stupid, and at this point think I'm completely invincible.

And as for chasing celebrities. That's retarded. One day, I'll be getting paid to take pics of celebrities, BY the celebrities...or whatever magazine I work for...or whatever.

Yeah, I'd totally go to a war torn country, but I'd be packin a glock too.

Kill or be killed. BLAP BLAP BLAP BLAP! LICK SHOT PON DE MAN DEM POOP.

IT'S FRIDAY!!!!

Stop channeling MD! It's freaking me out. :lol:

I think I would like to try it, only as a test for my nerves and ability to shoot on the fly. The camera, that is. But seeing as how I'm a girly-girl pacifist at heart, I'd likely crumble and wish myself gone with stuff blowing up all around me, and miss the best shots. :x

I'd sell underwear at Sears before I'd point a camera at a so-called celebrity. (yawn)

terri said:
Stop channeling MD! It's freaking me out. :lol:

I don't know what you're talking about.
terri said:
I'd sell underwear at Sears before I'd point a camera at a so-called celebrity. (yawn)

I wouldn't go THAT far. I mean, unless we're talking victoria secret or la senza, specifically for hot chicks, I would not sell underwear.

I think I'd be the guy that just secretly took pics of celebrities. Like with a really good telephone camera or something.

bace said:
Yeah, I'd totally go to a war torn country, but I'd be packin a glock too.

IT'S FRIDAY!!!!

Aww yeah. I'd personally take an H&K USP .40 tactical though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back