Writing directly to computer HD?

radioschizo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is it possible to have your camera write the images you take directly to, say, a folder on your computer's desktop via USB? I mean, it's no different than writing to a card if you think about it.

The only reason I ask is if you have a particular subject & are trying to get a shot just right, it's tedious popping the card in & out of the camera & computer. You know?

Yes, its called 'shooting tethered'.

The software you want/need to do this, is called Nikon Remote Capture...or something like that.

I'm not sure if it's an option with your camera, but there are also Wifi options for wireless file transfer. I think there are even memory cards while built in Wifi....although it's a slow system to transfer larger amounts of data. I've heard that wireless USB data transfer speeds are just around the corner...but I've been hearing that for a while now.

Your camera shouldve came with the usb cable and program to upload to a computer, if not it should be available.

@Big Mike: Perfect. That's the term I was looking for. I knew I wasn't the only one to think of this. haha

@vtf: Yes, I can transfer the files once I take them. But I wanted a live preview of the shot I just took on my computer screen. Because the preview on the little LCD isn't a very good indicator of how sharp, well-focused, etc the image is actually going to be.

I'll just reconfirm what Big Mike said.

Nikon has their "Nikon Capture" software that alows you to control the camera, it'll run you about $150ish.

For doing what you are asking about, the way to go would be the wireless SD cards. Using WIFI, your computer can read the data that's on the card as you take pictures. No need to pop it out. A 2GB card is about $50.

I'll just reconfirm what Big Mike said.

Nikon has their "Nikon Capture" software that alows you to control the camera, it'll run you about $150ish.

For doing what you are asking about, the way to go would be the wireless SD cards. Using WIFI, your computer can read the data that's on the card as you take pictures. No need to pop it out. A 2GB card is about $50.
It's call Nikon Camera Control Pro 2: Camera Control Pro 2 from Nikon

What if you don't want/need to control the camera via the computer...but just want the files saved to the HD as you shoot?

I've heard that you can do instant review with Lightroom, but I'm not sure if you need the Remote software to make that happen.

What if you don't want/need to control the camera via the computer...but just want the files saved to the HD as you shoot?

I've heard that you can do instant review with Lightroom, but I'm not sure if you need the Remote software to make that happen.

The two things I can think of would be to use the wireless SD card, and the "Briefcase" of Windows. The briefcase will synchrnoize files in two directories. When you are taking pictures, you can open the briefcase, and it'll synchronize the camera with another directory on your hard drive. When you take a picture, it'll copy it over to your HD. I think the problem with the Briefcase is that you have to tell it when to synchronize. If you take a bunch of pictures, you would have to tell it to syncronize, and that could take time.

Microsoft also has a freeware program called SyncToy. SyncToy is a little more powerful than the Briefcase, and its more dynamic. I think this would probably be the best approach. SyncToy constantly monitors a directory and syncs it with another directory. This means it'll copy the pictures over in real time. When you snap a picture, by the time you get to your computer, it'll be there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back