Yn622n + 622tx-n tested

Mach0

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I decided to try a set of YN 622n transceivers and an YN 622tx-n as the controller. I’ve used run of the mill pt-04 triggers with a ND filter and have done ok in the past but there are times with a 3 stop ND filter, I need higher than my sync speed. In any event, got them in, and looked them over. They are bigger than I thought and take AA batteries (which is a plus). For anyone buying these, make sure to clean the contacts first with an eraser first. I thought I had duds that didn’t fire. I guess right out of the wrap, they were a bit dirty. Once I did that, no misfires. The AF assist beam works and is fairly bright. I haven’t tested the range on them yet but so far so good and they work well on my Nikon flashes as well as allowing it to be used on camera with a flash on camera. My only nitpick is that they can take a moment to configure (setting to ttl vs manual and getting channels up to speed.) the AUTO FP works and iTTL.

The TX-n is the same size as the 622n transceiver and works fairly well (although unless my batteries suck, they drain them quickly). It allows full control over the different channels, zoom, and modes. Aside from using them in Auto FP, the main reason I bought them was to use the super sync method which allows it to be used with a manual flash ( in full power) outdoors to combat the sun ( at least for me). For my sb800 and sb28, I found that I can get to about 1/3200 of a second (with adjusting the timing on the TX to about .8+) and it worked ok. The overall exposure took a nose dive and I know the flash durations are still fast for each flash at full power. I tried with the ab800 and nothing I can do. Anything over the sync speed had banding.

So now I was at the point of wondering what to do. Buy the pocket wizard flex set up (which offered more timing flexibility) or try my hand at some slower speed lights. I picked up an yn560ii (a bit skeptical but had 1/200s flash duration at full power.) Tried it and had no issues going up to 1/4000s at iso 200 and still had a lot of light. I didn’t meter it but I doubt I will need to go any faster than 1/4000s.

So all in all, the yn622n set up with the TX-n works well. It’s not expensive by any means and works well. Sure the pocket wizard set ups offer more range and more flexibility but this hasn’t hindered me in any way. For me, the most important thing was getting good flash power outdoors in broad daylight without carrying a lot of lights being able to travel light ( pack and heads, mono's with battery packs, etc. + still having SOME shallow DOF.)

The yn560ii, however, impressed me. For my purposes and super sync, it puts out a lot of power and is cheap. I metered it against my sb800 and sb28. It metered f5.6 iso 200 at around 20 feet at 24mm zoom. My sb800 and 28 read f4.0 at the same settings. All three read f5.6 by 50mm zoom. My Nikons ARE built better but the 560 feels pretty good and is $60 bucks lol and it puts out good light plus recycles quickly. So for about $250, I can shoot outside in the mid day sun and have no issue with fill flash or even slightly over powering the sun. ( Keep in mind I have the sb800 already)

If I'm all over the place, my apologies. I typed this up rather quickly at work.

Good tip about the eraser. Seems one of my 622 transceivers like to receive but not send. wonder if this is the holdup.

I ordered the 622 TX today and am excited to get it. I only have one TTL speedlight right now but look forward to using the TX as a remote shutter release as well. Ill be ordering the YN-565EX when the prices return to normal on Amazon.

Good tip about the eraser. Seems one of my 622 transceivers like to receive but not send.

I have that problem too sometimes....

I have 6 yn622n's and have yet to have an issue with any of them. I just recently got the last two, and I had looked at the TX model, but I wanted to wait a bit and see some real reviews on it first.

Good tip about the eraser. Seems one of my 622 transceivers like to receive but not send.

I have that problem too sometimes....

I have 6 yn622n's and have yet to have an issue with any of them. I just recently got the last two, and I had looked at the TX model, but I wanted to wait a bit and see some real reviews on it first.

It works but truthfully i only use it for the super sync mode. And to that- a flash with a long duration such as the yn 560 ii works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The SuperSync delays firing the flash so that it performs better above your Sync Speed?

Any videos or tutorials that will help me grasp this better?

I'm sure there's something on YouTube but all it's doing is firing the flash later so that you get the max flash power out of one pop that covers your sensor vs hss or auto fp. The longer the flash duration, the better coverage. That's why I find the yn560ii to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool.

I had checked YouTube but the only 2 videos were in German. Is the point to try and sync it when the second curtain begins to move?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back