You have $300 , you need a camera , GO!

Sj_Grendel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want something "slr-like" bc I like the extended zooms they offer , I also want some kind of IS bc I have shakey hands. "Noob" friendly settings for a guy who rarely leaves auto mode.

Originally I intended to get the Fujifilm S2000hd , but the price has dropped SO much it makes me think something is wrong with it. It's now only $230 on NewEgg.

Is there anything wrong with the S2000hd?

If so what's a good camera for under $300?

I have an older Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ15 that I have been very pleased with. It has a very good lens for a non DSLR camera (Leica lens with a constant 2.8 from a 35mm equivalent range of 36mm - 432mm). It is also stabilized to handle that type of range. I've had it for a few years and I am still happy with it.

You might want to look at the newer version - something like the Lumix DMC-FZ28K, which I see on sale over at Amazon for $292. Just an example, and I haven't checked to see if there are better deals.

There may be others that are similar or better, but I would definitely recommend a Lumix to anyone looking for something between a DSLR and a point&shoot.

I think if you looked hard enough you could find a d70 with a kit lens for $300 on ebay.

Might take a while though.

Is the S2000hd a peice of crap?

Not, really. I haven' used it but from the specs and reviews it looks alright. Do a search for this camera and the others suggested in this post on dpreview.com they have very in depth reviews.

Entry-level and lower-end DSLRs have full auto modes as well that will give you better results than any point-and-shoot.

I second the suggestion to look for a used D70 or D50.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back