You weren't kidding about the butter

Braineack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sold my 10-24 to pick up a 85mm 1.8G. Got a chance to snap a few pics and I'm really impressed with the sharpness and the bokeh "butter".

DSC_1416-1.jpg

DSC_1375-1.jpg

DSC_1331-1.jpg

I'm just having issues with the RAW images importing into LR looking nothing even remotely close to what I'm seeing from the camera body; I realize the camera is doing it's own thing, but I had to spend way too much time to bring these back to acceptable. I need to figure that out.

Last edited:
Making me want the lens even more! Jeeeeeeez. Trying to not spend all my $$$ all at once hahaha.

Nice purchase.

I love this lens, great choice. It hasn't let me down yet.

The 10-24 arrived today, thank you.

Wow that was a fast trip across country!

Great pics, love number two. I've got that lens. like it more every day

nice. i miss my 1.8d. you'll enjoy the lens. i always felt the 1.8's produced some pretty smooth bokeh. unfortunately i've never had the pleasure of shooting with a true "cream machine" 85 1.4. sometimes it's a shame that the 70-200 is too darn good for me to justify picking one up (at least for my budget).

Last edited:
First time I seen a cat on a leash!! This is the lens I want to get soon for portraits.

I use my 85mm all the time! Love it!

#2 is a great shot BTW!

ain't nobody got time to mess with focus and aperture rings :)

Yep, your D3100 doesn't have an on-board AF motor and focus screw-drive.
No one has to mess with the aperture ring, other than locking it at f/22 for use on any Nikon DSLR.

In addition to the creamier bokeh, you also get an improvement in image quality with the f/1.4D, particularly when using the 85 mm f/1.4D wide open.
Chromatic aberration and distortion are about as low as you will ever see in a prime lens.

The AF 85 mm f/1.4D is a pro grade lens, while the AF-S 85 mm f/1.8G is a consumer grade lens.

The f/1.8G version has quite pronounced light falloff in the corners when used wide open, and while the AF-S focusing speed is adequate - it's only adequate.
Being an FX lens, when used on a DX camera the light falloff in the corners will be less noticable.
While the f/1.8G is pretty sharp in the middle of the lens, it's not as sharp out towards the edges.

Nikon updated the f/1.4D with the F/1.4G but surprisingly, the G has longitudinal CA. The CA can be fixed post process, but it's a $1650 lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back