Your Basic Beginner Photographer's Getup

Last I heard, for cameras and whatnot, it was ridiculous, though I haven't looked myself..mainly because most of the options in my price range I can get on a shop here anyway.

That, and the Rebel's just a bit too much atm :p

Well guys, cheers for all your help, and I've pretty much come to a conclusion...going for an all-around digital camera that can do pretty much everything, or at least alot (even if not as good as upper-end cams), that I can go out tommorrow with and take pictures with and then, as I get better, go more and more manual, and as time goes on, it still serves...all that, on a very tight budget (student + rent + uni = AH), with a blossoming interest in the hobby...and the camera that pretty much satisifed all those elements, at the price tag I was looking for, was the Fujifilm Finepix S5200...$369.99CDN, and including a 512MB stick, case and a NiMH charger + 4 AA's, comes to $550 with tax...which was about what I was looking at anyway. So tommorrow (or if not, then some time this week), I'm heading out to pick this baby up.

Cheers for all your help :)

GOM,

I would not get a Fujifilm Finepix S5200. I think that you will find that you will want to use different lenses and outgrow what that camera will do for you.

In your price range I would get a used 35mm film camera. You can find a top notch film camera and a couple of lenses for the price that you are willing to pay for the digital camera. On top of that you will also get better pictures with a film camera than you would from the Fujifilm Finepix S5200.

With the film camera you will have all the automatic settings that you would want to use starting out...but when you venture to manual photos you will have all the options that you could ever want without having to purchase another camera. Add on top of that the ability to change lenses and I think you have yourself a winner.

Not to mention that you will get higher resolution images from 35mm film than you would from a 5.1 megapixel digital camera.

I hope that you consider getting a film camera...and would be more than willing to help you pick out a camera and some lenses that fit within your budget...just send me a PM

Nick-

heh, well...already got it, and I'm already incredibly happy with it ;)

In terms of interchangable lenses, I know that the Finepix can accomodate a wide angle as well as a telephoto...don't know if they're a particular lens, or any one that will fit on from any brand, but there is *some* interchangability allowed there.

Only thing that's disappointed me about the camera so far, out of ~100 shots today and tonight, is that I didn't get a mini-tripod with it ;)

I am glad that you like your new camera. You will love it! Yeah those mini-tripods are nifty...they are pretty good to work with.

Post up some pics for us to see :)

Storm-

Congrats on the new camera! I purchased that model for my daughter a while ago (after much research) and she loves it.

Lucky gal...gave it a good run-through today, and it's held up brilliantly

All I have to do is practice (practice, practice, practice...), but the camera's a beauty :)

GoM said:
Well guys, cheers for all your help, and I've pretty much come to a conclusion...going for an all-around digital camera that can do pretty much everything, or at least alot (even if not as good as upper-end cams), that I can go out tommorrow with and take pictures with and then, as I get better, go more and more manual, and as time goes on, it still serves...all that, on a very tight budget (student + rent + uni = AH), with a blossoming interest in the hobby...and the camera that pretty much satisifed all those elements, at the price tag I was looking for, was the Fujifilm Finepix S5200...$369.99CDN, and including a 512MB stick, case and a NiMH charger + 4 AA's, comes to $550 with tax...which was about what I was looking at anyway. So tommorrow (or if not, then some time this week), I'm heading out to pick this baby up.

Cheers for all your help :)
Good for you
Could've done much worse.

Most reactions

Back