Your Dial up will catch on fire- Joe and Ashley

You're pictures look great, I really like them. What's the "backward flash" you speak of? I'm not sure what this means exactly.

I just looked through these again! Your attention to detail while shooting in a fast paced wedding is unbelievable!! I'm still a newb but I have seen plenty of
wedding shots like this where limbs, dresses ect are cut off!! Even down to her dancing with the large feather on her head you made sure to get the whole feather. Well done, I am a huge fan of your work!!!!:thumbup:

Oh believe me I screw up plenty. Take for instance the second cartwheel shot. I cut her hands off. I've been kicking myself about that. It would have been awesome had I not blown it.

But the rest comes with lots and lots of shooting. And keeping the glass to your eye. I can't tell you how tired my arms are holding that camera at the ready all the time, but you never know what's about to happen.

Keep at it, and you will find that those little mistakes go away over time. But also don't kick yourself too hard. We all miss now and then.

You're pictures look great, I really like them. What's the "backward flash" you speak of? I'm not sure what this means exactly.

Mike if you are tuning in, maybe a sticky for this one?;)

I use a 580 EX1 flash on my camera. I turn it all the way around backwards so that the flash actually rests on the top of my head. Its not bouncing off of anything. It's just firing full boat straight backwards.

What happens, is that a tiny bit of light spills forward, thus illuminating what I'm focused on, but doesn't spill to the background making for some very real ambient light.

The key to this is super fast glass, and a shallow dof. And being really really close to what it is you are shooting.

Shooting this way is a battery killer, so bring lots and lots of rechargables. Also a battery booster (or extended battery pack) comes in really handy.

Happy Shooting.

Thank you so much.
Here is the secret:

I run everything in Noiseware first. In close up shots, I also run Portraiture. And then I blast it with a good dose of "Boutwell Magic Glasses" which targets only edges of things.
That's it. The secrets out!:hugs:

I'm having a hard time locating "Boutwell Magic Glasses", where can I get that plug in?

Just train him like any other apprentice. Luckily my hubby was pretty good to begin with, but he's been great too about taking tips. He also handles all the techy stuff and can outshoot me in all things portrait.
And if you can work it out, you'll always have someone to cover your back, and you will have a joint interest in making the business fly.
Hmmm I think that may be a good idea. I may secretly start doing that. Watch him end up being better than me. :lmao:

elsaspet,
thanks for the tips. The backward flash technique sounds interesting, I'll give it a try here and there before using it in a wedding in July. I'm currently Post Processing a ton of pictures from a wedding I did last month, those actions from totally rad should help a ton. Thanks!

wow - this wedding looked like a blast!

12-14-15 my favorites.

I have been to MANY weddings and have yet to see a bride do such a stunt.

Wow, that must have been a great party, and Texas sized too.

You did a great job on the whole thing if these few shots are a representative sample.

Really great work, better than most with some interesting challanges I'm sure. I really liked 7, and although 3 maybe isn't the most interesting of the bunch I'm really impressed with the balanced exposure, quite a hard shot to get right. Its all very impressive =D

I have to say that your enthusiasm was completely caught by these images, the whole series had me wanting to be there, or have the exact same wedding (along with the brides beautiful complexion lol). I was seriously wowed by these photos, and would have you as a photographer at my wedding any day, although it would be hard to top theirs lol.

GREAT WORK!!
I will be definately looking into the items you mentioned above!

Here's another question for you....
On average how many shots do you take at a wedding?

Cindy emailed me and asked me to post here and let you know she's been banned and can't answer questions as a result. She didn't want you to think she was being a jerk. :)

that's a shame...her pics are phenomenal, and she seemed like she gave great advice and was very knowledgeable.

she have a web site, lacey anne?

-biscuit-

Most reactions

Back