Your inputs to improve this pic

praveensg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am a brand new addition to this great forum:heart: as well as to digital photography. I need your feedback on this picture. Any areas to improve upon and such.

174331005_9bc95e69f2_o.jpg

OTE

Taken with Canon Rebel 350D 18-55 standard lens
Settings: F3.5, 1/20, ISO 400

Feel free to criticise :wink:
Thank you :)

I like the angle, but for me the background lets it down. I think if you're going for product shots then you should either use a plain coloured background (usually black or white), or, as I suspect you're going for in this shot, you should put it more of a 'bar' scene into it, that is more other bottles in the background or people or something to give it a bit more of a bar feel.

Just my two penneth!

Thanks for ur input BFB. I agree with you, the background is kinda distracting esp if you're shooting products. This was a random shot I clicked when my roomie was making a few drinks. How would you rate the exposure and color levels as such?

Have you tried making the background black and white? It still would be a little distracting but less so, but I think it could improve it a little and have more dramatic effect on the blue bottle.

Along with the background, the reflection in the bottle is not helping.

The color/white balance looks off. It's hard to tell if the color of the bottle is right or wrong but the light in the rest of the room does not look right. Looks like incandescent lights with daylight film/setting.

I like the angle but I'd like it more if it were perfectly vertical...it's leaning a little to the right.

As a random shot, it's not too bad. Maybe sometime, try setting it up as a studio type shot and trying different things.

Points noted Mike. I am gonna try n setup a studio style setting and see if I can improve the overall composition. I have a great cam without the skills :D

What do you think about this pic?

172863070_0ca0d04a86_o.png

Just something on the first pic.. Be careful with having light sources in the background if the item you are photographing is not very bright. You can see how you started to blow out the background at the top where you have the bright light. One suggestion would be either to dim the back lights or add more ambient light onto the bottle. Or just move the bottle so there are not any light sources in the background.

I find the light at the top of the bottle quite distracting. Other than that I'd consider it a nice picture, especially if it is just a , oh hey look at this *snap* and it was taken. The second picture is cool.

I think the main problem with the bottle pic is the blown-out background. They eye is naturally drawn to bright areas, which means that the focus is being shifted away from the bottle and to the background at the top of the image.

The second one is nice but here's what I think could be done better (since you asked). First of all, the background is a bit distracting. A narrower DOF would have been nice, as would have a tighter crop on the kid on the bench. Also, it would have been nice if you had waited until the bus was out of the frame. And the bright sky in this shot — like the bright light in the background of the vodka shot — distracts the eye from the main subject. Perhaps if you had taken a few steps to the right, zoomed in, and cropped it just to get the bench and that guy leaning on the pole in the shot, it would have been better. That's my hypothesis, at least.

I agree, in the first picture the other thing you need to sort out is the reflections in the bottle and the light at the top of the bottle, which is quite distracting. It's quite good fun experiemting with lighting and you can do it with a few desk lamps to begin with, let us know how it goes!

i like the second pic, but i would have used a slower shutter speed so that the bus and people moving quickly appeared blurred. this would have shown the lack of movement of the people on the bench and bring the focus to them aswell as showing the world moving on past them.

do you agree?

nice pic though

Most reactions

Back