Your thoughts on a dinner idea? (For the foodies)

Good knives are on my list at some point in my life. Dropping a grand on a set isn't in the cards right now.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If I were starting from scratch, the 6-er would be a dandy.

Back to your dinner. I started dry rubs about three years ago and I have almost quit wet marinades altogether. I always start with kosher salt and ground black pepper, then I rummage through the spice box and start throwing sh!t in. Rarely am I able to repeat the same rub, but I kinda know the flavors I want to use to complement the protein and side dishes. However, I do brine my Thanksgiving turkey, sometimes the chicken and all the pork dishes. I just love the extra layer of flavor the rubs create in the meat. With ribs and sometimes chicken, I will finish it off the last few minutes with a wet glaze to promote that crispy bark.

Last night I grilled some pork chops that had been brined for about 2 hours in salt, Dk brown sugar, peppercorns, dry mustard and apple cider vinegar. The chops were rib end cuts, 2" thick and stuffed it crumbled cornbread, dried cherries, golden raisins, walnuts, sage, S&P mixed with buttermilk. Served on the side was asparigus sauteed in butter and garlic, as well as corn with finely diced red & green peppers. S.O.B. was that good eating. The missus was so pleased that I got a happy ending. :biggrin:

Always nice to be personally thanked for your efforts!

Ummm that sounds almost as good as Tofu...Just an old veg makin fun...Ed

pgriz, my grandfather taught me that it's always nice to be nice. We reciprocate.

When I loose the canines, oldhippy, I might have to reconsider my diet. Even though I don't have meat with every meal and try to be conscious of a healthy diet, I am a carnivore.

D'you guys actually USE all those knives? I was taught that a chef's knife and a paring knife is pretty much it, everything else is specialized and not that useful if you're not in a restaurant.

D'you guys actually USE all those knives? I was taught that a chef's knife and a paring knife is pretty much it, everything else is specialized and not that useful if you're not in a restaurant.
Hmmm, let me think about that for a minute. Do you use all your lenses? An appropriate tool for the task at hand.

Actually, I don't use all my lenses. I don't even use all my knives.

So . . . what did you end up doing, and how was it?

ya I'm curious now, I thought Feta would have done well, but I was late reading the thread. :p

snowbear said:
So . . . what did you end up doing, and how was it?

Ended up doing herbed goat cheese crumbles on top of the steak. Kelsey liked the idea. It was delicious. I was really happy with how it turned out. We also roasted beets and shallots and made a mixed green salad.

It sure was good. I'll post photos once I get around to turning on my computer.

Those two are what I use 90% of the time. A six inch fillet knife rounds it out. The rest of them just look good - like all that extra glass in your camera bag

Most reactions

New Topics

Back