zoom lengths

iknowdatalfabat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How do you know how far a zoom can reach?
I used to think 70-300mm told you that but now i know that it's the focal angle.

all 70-300's will reach the same distance
same with any 17-50
18-70 etc etc

when your at 300mm not matter what 300mm lens you use you will be looking at the same picture (removing IQ etc etc)

there isnt a way to say exactly how far you can reach depends on the subject really

yeah but do 70-300s reach the same distance as 24-70s?

no, a 24-70 zoomed in fully will reach the same distance as a 70-300 not zoomed in at all

As I understand it, it also depends on the camera you are using-- if you use a 70-300mm lens on 2 different cameras, each with a different sensor size, it will affect how "zoomed" the picture looks at any given focal length. Please, however, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm still learning too).

I think to calculate your actual zoom, you have to divide the largest focal length of the lens by the smallest. However, that won't actually tell you how "far" the lens will reach, just how much farther your largest focal length will reach than the smallest one does.

sooo does that mean that 200/18=11.11 so the zoom is 11x magnification?

yes your right about that

and it does depend on your cameras sensor, a 70-300 will be differant on a canon dslr to a nikon dslr, to a 35mm camera

I have a Nikon D40. So what does that mean for the zoom?

sooo does that mean that 200/18=11.11 so the zoom is 11x magnification?
I think that's what they would call an 11x zoom, but it's not actually 11x magnification.

The long end is 11 times longer than the short end, but you're probably not going to be anywhere near 11x magnification. You will just have a smaller field of view.

Alright so lemme get this straight. An 18-200mm is 11. a 70-300mm is 4. So the 18-200mm would have a further reach?

Those 'zoom numbers' are usually only used on point & shoot cameras. With SRLs focal length is effectively the same thing.

The 300mm has farther reach. The more mm's, the closer it gets you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back