Zooming in..

I think i've seen people on here use telescopes to get that tight.

The first one looks pretty poor, the second however looks great. Good telescopes can come with camera mounts. We are buying a Nikon F-mount adapter for a friends Celestar scope. The telescope is 1150mm at f/10, and we will be using a magnifying eyepiece for focusing.

You won't get such results with a normal lens unfortunately. The upside is telescopes have other uses (the sky really is very pretty)

you can use a good telescope like mentioned, or if your just bloody rich you can order canons 1200mm f/5.6 prime lens and slap on a 2x converter! youll probably be able to snap a shot of the land rover!!!!! lol

pretty much, need a telescope for that picture, or the 1200mm prime with 2x converter. telescope is cheaper

Ah O.K, well, one day i hope to own a powerful telescope like that. Could watch up there for hours.:D

You'll also need to be able to reach a place where there is no skyglow from the lights of a nearby town or city.

Prints like that are not easy to achieve.

Cheers guys, so there's noway i can get a view like that without spending major dollar?
This one is fantastic
http://www.astroworks.com/gallery/350D/NGC6188.JPG

This last shot was very likely taken with an 85mm or 50mm prime on a simple digital slr. The trick to getting the photo though is through multiple long exposures and the camera mounted on top of a motorized telescope or on the mount itself. If you are patient you do not need anykind of tracking mount at all, the same can be done with a home made device called a 'barn door tracker.

Check out the Cloudy Nights web site for tips on astro photos.

Pat

Most reactions

Back