'08 Subject Assignment - DOORS - Due Aug 8th

097.jpg

At first I thought, ah too bad, the horizon's off kilter. Then I thought, that's not typical. And these long hallway shots can be so typically done. I like it.

Please post new photos for this assignment only.

I don't know if by new photos you mean photos that have never been posted here, or photos that have been taken after the assignment is posted. My cathedral above was taken last year, but never before posted.

In any case, I shot these today in central London. This is how the other half live:

1. Harley Street. I have been well served by the National Health Service. I have had a kidney removed. I have been diagnosed and treated for new onset diabetes, and prescribed daily medication. I have had emergency treatment for a transient ischemic attack (mini-stroke, probably brought on by the diabetes) that involved three CT scans, a carotid ultrasound and 30 hours in a stroke unit. The total cost for this has been £0.00.

However, if you are rich and don't want to rub elbows with the great unwashed, you go to Harley Street. Behind one of these doors, you can pay for the same service I get for free. What you can also get, that I can't, is a breast enhancement.

02door.jpg

2. Connaught Square. This is where Tony Blair bought a house after he quit as Prime Minister. I asked the two policemen carrying automatic weapons that were standing in Tony's doorway if I could photograph his door. They were polite in their refusal.

03door.jpg

3. Still near Paddington on the way to Hyde Park. This is the entrance to a serviced apartment block. The doorman was hiding from me.

05door.jpg

4. Rich people have to get their cars serviced, too.

06door.jpg

5. Finally, this is more of a storefront than a door, but I couldn't resist the pun.

07door.jpg

All these shots were taken on our walk to the Victoria and Albert Museum. I had never visited this museum before, even though all museums in London are free (they ask for donations). It was an amazing building and I will post shots elsewhere.

Cheers! :D

Last edited:
freelunch (I thought there was no such thing),

What a wonderful series! The narration makes them even more interesting. The last is my fav.

WPhyer, nice angle on those. I like where you chose to place the door knobs.

WPhyer, I agree.. I am loving your shot, it is very interesting. At first I thought it was one of those sliding doors, but at a second glance, I saw that there are two doors there..
Great shot!

Thanks. What's "funny" about this one was that earlier that day I saw the two doors just like that (usually one is always closed and it's rare that they're ever open at the same time) and it just struck me kind of odd when I was looking at them. So when I saw the Doors challenge I was thinking of all the doors around the place and -wham- that one just clicked.

-William

Thank you thewand for your hinge photo. I've been bemoaning my fate of living on a plane of existence with only plain doors. Yes, the plain plane!

And you've shown me that I'm not thinking creatively enough. Thank you.

Most reactions

Back