1:1 Crop Assignment

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
This weeks assignment is a CD cover (front/back). The crop needs to be 1:1 when processing, so how do I go about shooting when my VF is 3:2?

I do a lot of 1:1 actually, the trick with composing it is dealing with all the symmetries. It's much easier to create dynamics in a rectangular frame, so if I'm looking for square shots with tension, I look for compact compositions that don't rely on the framing to break their symmetry. The square shape sort of draws your eye to the center, so I look for elements that can direct the eye other places, to compete with the imposition of the rigid shape. The other side of it is to exploit the symmetry, and reinforce the draw to the center. This can be a powerful effect, but it's all about movement toward or away from the center, simply placing the subject in the center doesn't do it all the time.

I also try not to rely on the viewfinder too much to spot compositions, no matter what aspect I'm doing. I try to visualize first, and then put the camera to my eye and figure out the best way to make it work.

Shoot in landescape and shoot wider

For most of the shots I really want to have a foreground background relationship with a good amount of DOF so I plan on using my 50mm.

I do a lot of 1:1 actually, the trick with composing it is dealing with all the symmetries. It's much easier to create dynamics in a rectangular frame, so if I'm looking for square shots with tension, I look for compact compositions that don't rely on the framing to break their symmetry. The square shape sort of draws your eye to the center, so I look for elements that can direct the eye other places, to compete with the imposition of the rigid shape. The other side of it is to exploit the symmetry, and reinforce the draw to the center. This can be a powerful effect, but it's all about movement toward or away from the center, simply placing the subject in the center doesn't do it all the time.

I also try not to rely on the viewfinder too much to spot compositions, no matter what aspect I'm doing. I try to visualize first, and then put the camera to my eye and figure out the best way to make it work.

That's the one thing that I am having a hard time picturing, how do I go about composing a picture, say rule of thirds, in a 3:2 format for a 1:1 crop

Here's some i did for a local artist, the text was just to give her an idea, don't forget to leave room for text

436210542_SrvRg-L.jpg

436210717_Kj9ZV-L.jpg

Everyone has their own approach to composition, it's really one of the more subjective personal choices in this craft. I would say don't worry so much about rules, so much as principles. The rule of thirds came about because it allows balance in the midst of tension. A centered subject is very matter of fact, and isn't a challenge for the eye, the rule of thirds causes the eye to move about the frame and consider the contrast between the subject side and the negative space side. So, in my opinion, the goal isn't effectively implementing the rule of thirds, the goal is the dynamic contrast that gives the viewer something to consider, and the rule of thirds is one way to achieve that. That's why to me the viewfinder isn't the end all be all of the composition. The contrasts and dynamics need to stand on their own before you frame them, so look out for (and create) arrangements that require the eye to move around. The eye will follow lines and fixate on points, it will move toward light areas and away from dark areas, etc... Using those principles (and many others... you can spend decades studying this stuff), you direct the viewer around the frame to better make your point. The frame is a factor, for sure, but the arrangement of the scene you're framing has to come first. That's my approach though, there's no right or wrong about subjective stuff like this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back