1.8D or 1.8G?

Therefore the only two real options if you want AF would be the 50 1.8 G AF-S, or the 50 1.4 AF-S.

Might as well go "all-new" if you are a newer Nikon user, or if you have the smaller "baby Nikon" models; the G-series Nikkors are the lenses of the future.

Might as well go "all-new" if you are a newer Nikon user, or if you have the smaller "baby Nikon" models; the G-series Nikkors are the lenses of the future.

By the way, was a G-series made for the 85mm 1.8 prime? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

BJF said:
Since you own a D60, you have to use 'G' lenses with built-in AF motor inside. Here you are some links for reference.

Nikon D60

Nikon 50mm f1.8D

Nikon 50mm f1.8G

The "g" designation has NOTHING to do with autofocus. It simply means there is no manual aperture ring. AF-S lenses are what he needs to AF on the d60.

Haha. I know what 'G' means. Anyway, Nikon 50mm f1.8G has motor built-in. :)

Hey, I just bought a D80 and am buying a 50mm 1.8 lens, but I can't decide between the D or the G. I don't really care about price, but is the G significantly better?

lieforalie said:
Hey, I just bought a D80 and am buying a 50mm 1.8 lens, but I can't decide between the D or the G. I don't really care about price, but is the G significantly better?

In the beginning of the thread someone said that the g had better optics I thinks. find some reviews on the Internet - they usually have sample pictures.

lieforalie said:

In the beginning of the thread someone said that the g had better optics I thinks. find some reviews on the Internet - they usually have sample pictures.

That's the problem... it seems like it's 50/50 as to which is better, and that they both have their pros/cons. I'll just get the D for now. I can always upgrade.

Yes the 1.8 g is significantly better, the "d" isnt really tack sharp until f2.8, whereas the g is sharp at f1.8. This is due to the d being basically a 30+ year old design, whereas the g was redesigned just recently. The 1.4g is slightly better then the "d" because of its improved coatings, but it lacks the asphereical element that the newer f1.8g has, and isnt as sharp at f2 and below because of this.

Most reactions

Back