What's new

Lensbaby Tilt

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Joined
Nov 19, 2010
Messages
2,507
Reaction score
440
Location
San Jose, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can anybody recommend a Lensbaby that will allow me to tilt my lens? I know they are all in the avenue of 300 dollars (+), but I have no experience with them and do not know anybody who owns one. Am hoping somebody who has used one can offer some insight. Will be used on Nikon cameras with Nikon lenses - I see on B&H that they "accept Nikon lenses" but do not indicate if they will fit on an F mount (one would assume, but better safe than sorry)


Thanks in advance!
 
I believe that the Transformer (if that's what you're looking at - saw the other thread) only mounts to micro 4/3 systems... And it can apparently only mount Nikon lenses...
 
I believe that the Transformer (if that's what you're looking at - saw the other thread) only mounts to micro 4/3 systems... And it can apparently only mount Nikon lenses...

I already know that lensbaby isnt the best of quarity product, but one would think that they would make something for Nikon :(
 
They do, just not the 'Transformer'. I think it is specifically made for use on smaller sensors...
 
Google 'freelensing'. That's where you hold the lens in front of the mount, without actually mounting it. You can move it all around for all kinds of effects...

I personally have never been able to get pleasing results with that, but others have - so it's possible. I would assume that technique is a pretty big factor ... there is the potential for light leaks like crazy.


You'll want to use aperture priority (it will always select the fastest shutter speed for the light/aperture it's given) or manual for that.
 
Google 'freelensing'. That's where you hold the lens in front of the mount, without actually mounting it. You can move it all around for all kinds of effects...

I personally have never been able to get pleasing results with that, but others have - so it's possible. I would assume that technique is a pretty big factor ... there is the potential for light leaks like crazy.

Yeah.. I've heard of it. I'll just try to find a tilt lens from the same era as my Nikon filmslr's. It will probably be cheaper, and if you know me you know I only shoot those cameras with equipment from around the same time, as to simulate the experience fully. Idk why, its just me. haha
 
I have a Lensbaby Composer. It tilts nicely and the lens itself is fun to play with. It's a bit of a photo-toy :) I've had it for about 2 months so I'm still learning and discovering how to take a nice picture with it or what can this thingy do..I've read your thread about a toy photography so I assume this is why you want it. I've never tried this technique so can't say anything here. I suggest you go to the camera shop and play with one, so you can see for yourself if you really want it.
 
I have seen some projects that use Pentacon 6 medium format lenses to accomplish tilt/shift on a dSLR. Some of them were pretty DIY with bathroom plungers, but if I recall you can actually get manufactured adapters on eBay. Used pentacon lenses are fairly reasonable on eBay as well.
 
The thing about trying to do this with a Lensbaby ... is that it won't work... (It might work with the Transformer, since that is just an adapter - but it's not available for your mount, so.....)

The reason it won't work with a regular Lensbaby (whichever flavor you like) is that they don't focus on a plane like most lenses. Well, I guess they technically might, but in real use - only a 'spot' is ever in focus (much like the way our eyes work). So, even if it tilted enough for that effect, the effect would be confined to that in-focus spot.
 
The thing about trying to do this with a Lensbaby ... is that it won't work... (It might work with the Transformer, since that is just an adapter - but it's not available for your mount, so.....)

The reason it won't work with a regular Lensbaby (whichever flavor you like) is that they don't focus on a plane like most lenses. Well, I guess they technically might, but in real use - only a 'spot' is ever in focus (much like the way our eyes work). So, even if it tilted enough for that effect, the effect would be confined to that in-focus spot.

Yeah, I'm not sure of the actual optics that lensbaby uses, but from seeing shots taken, it appears that it just doesn't do any correction for spherical aberration. It is just 2 elements...
 
Yeah, they're kind of 'crappy on purpose' - and I mean that in the nicest possible way. I do have one (Muse - plastic optic). I figured that if I was going to get a 'crappy' lens, I'll get the crappiest one they have. :lol: Plastic lens, lol.

Don't get me wrong, they are cool sometimes - and I haven't tried to sell mine yet. Not for everybody though...


Anyway, from using that lens on a 35mm camera - you cannot use it to do the T/S miniature faking. IMO, you're going to have to fake it in PS, or get a real T/S lens... Or go the DIY route.

As Helen pointed out in the other thread - faking it in PS (talking about anything here - not just T/S) is never quite as good as the real thing...
 
I see tilt adapters on eBay that are in my pricerange.. I assume I can attach my lens to this and rotate the lens at a fixed degree? Would this achieve a miniaturefaking effect?
 
I haven't used them, but I would think so...

The first problem you will encounter (using lenses made for the 35mm format) is that with tilting, the edges of the image circle will start to become visible. This will most likely be the limiting factor.

That is also why the DIY solutions you've probably seen use medium format lenses - larger image circle.

Dedicated tilt/shift lenses will take that into account and have a larger image circle, obviously.
 
I haven't used them, but I would think so...

The first problem you will encounter (using lenses made for the 35mm format) is that with tilting, the edges of the image circle will start to become visible. This will most likely be the limiting factor.

That is also why the DIY solutions you've probably seen use medium format lenses - larger image circle.

Dedicated tilt/shift lenses will take that into account and have a larger image circle, obviously.

Well couldn't I just plan for this, and crop it out in post?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom