1 Boudoir & 1 Themed - C&C Please!

I agree with kundalini & Derrell. The first thing that jumped out at me (for #1) was the perspective. And if saying that it makes her thigh look too big is the wrong comment, then I'll say that it makes her head and upper body look too small. It's certainly not a matter of judging her body, just a matter of how the camera is portraying her and seeing that it could have been different...maybe better.

On a similar note...while I like to see some skin (and she looks to have great skin) you usually want the model's face to be the strongest focal point in a portrait....and having a big bright patch of skin in the photo, really distracts attention away from the face. I think this photo could have been stronger if there was less light on her lower half...better yet, careful lighting that allows for a tonal gradient on her leg.

I'd also like to see her eyes touched up a tiny bit, just to brighten them up, helping to draw more attention to the face & eyes.

Otherwise this is a pretty good image.

There are a lot of things I like about #2. The theme/costume is great and the make-up fits with that. I was uncertain if I liked the upward shooting angle, but it does give her a sense of power that fits with the theme I think.

Seeing both pics together (I assume it's the same girl), I can't help but to notice the effects of hard lighting on her face in #2. It makes her look a fair bit older...and maybe that goes well with the theme, but I still have the urge to apply some skin smoothing.

Now see, you all are talking about her thigh and I was noticing how tiny her head looked compared to her breasts... Once the thigh was mentioned, then I noticed it...

That's my 2 cents :) lol

Holy smokes, I didn't expect NEARLY the response these got and I thank you ALL for posting comments! Here goes...

is she supposed to look like a ghost or very pale complection in the 2nd shot? She looks gray??? Makeup?
Yep, she has a "Goth"/"Vampire" style that she wanted to run with.

GJ Jason! We need to get together and do some car or model photo.

The make up isn't gray. It is just the flash temperature vs ambient. I think you can warm it up a little more and the background color will still look natural.
Thanks, yes we do! And indeed, I could have, but she said she liked the "Twilight" look... *shrug*

You mean she looks like a "real" woman? Not an anorexic stick? LOL.
^Exactly why I chose her. That, and I'm a sucker for redheads. lol

She looks like a vampire in the 2nd =P
:thumbup:

I definitely prefer the 2nd photograph if I had to choose a favorite. It reminds me of grim's fairy tales, a creepy, seductive red riding hood.
That's exactly what she said to me as a reference. Glad it comes across that way.

BigMike, Kundalini, & Derrel...

Amazing critique. Thank you VERY much.

For the shot in question I was in an 8x8 apartment bedroom with 3 speedlights on stands and a stepstool at the base of her bed, so the 35 prime I used was really my only choice to get a decent amount of her body in the frame, however...that's no excuse. I should have seen that her tummy was too flat and her leg dominated the frame. I do have SEVERAL more shots of this outfit and setup that I'll go through to find, hopefully, a more suitable shot.

She was my first time working with a model that poses in a "fluid" way. She didn't stop between shots (which annoyed the hell out of me) so focus was constantly an issue and so I felt I just had to adapt and start machine gunning shots to catch something when I saw what I liked.

It was definitely a learning experience for me, and she was much more headstrong about posing than I had been used to (doing family work is cake) but I learned a LOT and from reading the feedback, I know what to do differently/better next time.

Thank you ALL, again, for looking and taking the time to give thoughtful and helpful critique! :mrgreen:

No, she looks like a lard-ass. Her thigh is substantially larger than it "should be", unless she weighs in around 245. The photographic technique here is causing serious apparent perspective distortion; this is a real,significant problem with crop-sensor cameras when the photographer approaches too closely, and shoots with a focal length that is well short of the "optimal focal length" as dictated by traditional professional portraiture practices.

Her boobs also look unnaturally large, and her head looks too small in relation to her bra cups and their size...she looks horrible because the camera technique is poor.

In other words, the photographer's "technique" has made her look much less-attractive than normal. Sorry Kyna, but I really don't appreciate your condescending, smart-alecky attitude on this one.

No, she looks like a lard-ass. Her thigh is substantially larger than it "should be", unless she weighs in around 245. The photographic technique here is causing serious apparent perspective distortion; this is a real,significant problem with crop-sensor cameras when the photographer approaches too closely, and shoots with a focal length that is well short of the "optimal focal length" as dictated by traditional professional portraiture practices.

Her boobs also look unnaturally large, and her head looks too small in relation to her bra cups and their size...she looks horrible because the camera technique is poor.

In other words, the photographer's "technique" has made her look much less-attractive than normal. Sorry Kyna, but I really don't appreciate your condescending, smart-alecky attitude on this one.

I was only 1/2 serious......hence the "LOL"

No worries......I have said my peace and I'm done ;) I can agree to disagree. I think people on this forum tend to take their own opinions a little too seriously. These are all opinions, not hard facts. Through my eye I don't think her thigh looks that misproportioned...you do...that's fine.

Hmm...a few posts are missing. Interesting...

Anyway...I found a different angle, same outfit, and I think it's a bit better. Again, the product of machine gunning while the model is moving fluidly. Not my ideal way to shoot, but we have to work with what we're given.

1168987037_86LGy-O.jpg

Is this any better in your opinion?

Green CA on her thigh.

Good eye! I didn't notice, but it's fixed now. Won't bother reuploading for this thread though.

Other than that, is the perspective better? Less of a "fatty" look?

I didnt mind the first one really.. you can use liquify tool if it really bothers you.

I didnt mind the first one really.. you can use liquify tool if it really bothers you.

Nah, I actually didn't mind the larger "rear end" look either...and she did have a few extra pounds...but those with FAR more experience than me said it's not flattering, so I'll heed their advice.

I don't see an image? Just the question mark. But Schwetty was obviously able to see it... so maybe it's just me. :lol:

Ah, that's because I used a photo from my website, which I replaced with the fix to the CA issue. I guess I'll eat my words and re-upload it to this thread anyway lol

This should work...

1169086286_jmWzh-XL.jpg

:D

The black lines of the bed cover on this image are much more interesting. They do add to the image.

One thing I did not convey in earnest earlier, and is seen here also, by lessening the angle of the 'overthrown' leg, as in not horizontal, it will also lengthen and slenderize that area on a heavier set woman.

Shadows on the forehead should be treated. BTW, you do realize that having lights on either side of the camera, at similar angles, is going to create flat lighting, don't you? This is in fashion at the moment, just sayin'.

My 2 cents.
:lol: I do prefer the pic 3 vs pic 1 but don't think the thighs are a major concern to me.
What caught my eye in pic 2 (Riding Hood) is the hairline above her forehead. Looks as though a pp hair treatment wasn't smoothed here. There is a sharp line between red hair and brown. Her skin looks pasty and undead like.

Last edited:
My 2 cents.
:lol: I do prefer the pic 3 vs pic 1 but don't think the thighs are a major concern to me.
What caught my eye in pic 2 (Riding Hood) is the hairline above her forehead. Looks as though a pp hair treatment wasn't smoothed here. There is a sharp line between red hair and brown. Her skin looks pasty and undead like.

Interesting observation. I actually didn't do any PP to her hair or face (other than removing blemishes). That's her hair color (and natural brown roots showing) and the makeup she used was to get that pasty/dead look...she's a "goth" girl.

Though, now that I see the hair line, I could go back in and try to fix it...just didn't notice it before, so thanks for pointing that out!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back