#1 - Sensor cleaner #2 -shooting in rain

CMOS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First -

#1 - What is the best thing I can use to clean the sensor. There seems to be a lot of products out their, so some guidance would be appreciated.

#2 - As far as rain goes ... any hints as to how to protect the camera while shooting in the rain. (I'm going to be in New York City this weekend and of course showers are predicted.) I've thought about using a small plastic bag, cutting a hole in one end and using a rubber band or lens shade to attach it to the end of the lens. Good idea?? Bad idea?? What else should I consider doing???

THX CMOS

I have not had to 'clean' my sensor, after almost a year of owning my DSLR. I have occasionally used a blower bulb to dislodge some dust though.

I've had my 20D is some pretty heavy rain...in the rain forests of Costa Rica. First, have a good dry place to keep it. A good camera bag that will keep the rain out.

On one of our excursions in Costa Rica, I couldn't bring my camera bag, so I had to bring just the camera. I used a plastic shower cap from the hotel. I cut a hole for the lens and the elastic part went around the back of the camera. Then I had a big zip-lock bag that I put the camera in, while not shooting. It was still tricky to keep the bag closed, with the strap still around my neck...but I did manage to keep it fairly dry. Although, I was doing a zip-line tour though the forest canopy...if you are just on the streets, you should have to trouble keeping it dry.

Forrest canopies and zip lines. I am impressed!!

I love the idea of the shower cap.

Also, thanks for the cleaning input.

I don't think I'll have much worry since my lens (I only have one at this point; 18-200) will pretty much stay on the camera. But I like to be prepared since murphy's law is very much at home in the world of photography. I like the idea of using the least invasive cleaning methods first, and only escalating if there is an abasolute need to.

Cheers - CMOS

Here is a very comprehensive and, as best as I can tell, unbiased link:

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html

Always try the blower bulb first. I followed his instructions using the sensorwand/pecpads and eclipse. It works extremely well, once you get the hang of it. The supplies are not cheap(I spent about $50), but once bought will last a LONG time. I was weary of damaging my chip, but once I "just did it" it became very easy. Good luck and take care.

just to reiterate what has already been said, i have a DSLR and have a lot of sensor dust, from my research so far the link in crawdaddio's post seems to be the best. I just got a blower bulb and will try that first. if that doesn't work to my satisfaction i will do the sensorswab/eclipse method. If you are in a situation where you can't clean it right away, just try to keep your f-stop below f11, the spots won't show up like they do at higher f-stops like f22.

as for covering your camera in the rain... all of my cameras occasionally get a little wet, just until i can get them out of the weather, and i've never had any problems. It doesn't rain much here in the desert, but I had a guy from Seattle show me how to wrap a laptop in cellophane (saran wrap) with tape and we used it out in the rain (i use to work outdoors, and rain was a hinderance to productivity when your job requires a laptop). it was in the pouring rain for hours and we never had any problems... :thumbup:

Canon - Blower and a Kimwipe, held by tweezers. They do not like to use fluid but when necessary they use either 90% isopropyl alcohol or a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and Windex.

Has anyone tried Kimwipes? They are cheap and the procedure makes as much sense as any other cleaning method...I should go steal some Kimwipes from the Chemistry department :lol:

Beware!^^
I have read that alcohol is BAD for sensor cleaning. I can only deduce that windex would be horrible. These are my opinions only, take them for what they're worth, but for the love of god, use common sense and be careful. We're talking about a very expensive repair if damage occurs.

I have never had to clean my sensor but I do live 40 miles south of Seattle so we do get rain.

I used to take zip lock bags and rubber band them around my camera. Now I use a rain cover which I purchased at a camera store. There are several different styles for sale.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back