#1. Why is it . . . .

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
That whenever I actually meet an older photographer (mainly amateur) that has been shooting obviously for a longer time than I have that I am not ALLOWED to speak? And if I do nothing I say could possibly be correct, or, if so it is somehow because this person and all thier infinite wisdom is somehow the one who should be credited for teaching it to me even though I have never spoken to them before? :evil:

I really haven't run into this on forum boards or with people I have known for awhile. However recently I have been going out of my way a bit to meet and talk to some of the local "seasoned" photog's of my area and keep running into this situation. 3 times now since Christmas alone! I can't get out more than two words before I am corrected or just plain talked over. And I am not talking about fundamentals or anything concrete even. One guy said that "you just can't take sharp pictures without a very fast IS lense, and then you have to be a good shooter" another told me that "unless you have been shooting for at least 10 years and have another minimum of 5 years in study absolutely nobody except your internet buddies will take you seriously" :shock: What the hell is this crap? On the other hand I have met some people that are very nice and helpful and willing to teach tricks they may know or share possible photo spots, unlike a couple of these guys who got back in thier cars and left when they discovered I would be shooting anywhere near them like I might STEAL THIER SHOT! Not to mention the crew of 60 somethings all sporting $4000 lenses laughing at me on my vacation for using a "teeny tiny little zoom or wide angle-medium zoom for a landscape shot" :evil: :evil: :evil:

Why is it that I keep finding people that have this sort of attitude? Has it happened to you?

Sorry for the rant, yes I do feel a little better now :oops:

snobs exist everywhere and in every field. it's like someone saying that they are better because they use a mac instead of a PC. anyone that narrow minded should be avoided in my opinion.

Lesson #1. Artists are jealous, depressed, insecure people who think that there is competition in the art world. This is not true of all artists obviously, and nobody here, but I see it all the time. Photography and espcially digital photography has increased this because of the "point and shoot" aspect. Nowadays you see 8 out of every 10 people has a little digital camera with a neck strap and filters and it really ticks some people off.

Personally, I don't talk to other photographer's much, except on here. When I'm out shooting, I just shoot :)

Very true. For awhile before I re-humbled myself I saw everyone with a camera as competition but then I started to meet everyone on the boards and it has gotten better. Heck I like to help people improve when I can now! But more so I have been interacting with other photographers to learn as much as I can. Unfortunately it's not going so well just yet :roll:

Pst! Amateur! Silly person don't you know you have to be dead before you can take a proper photo and only if you were born with camera (film only) in hand?

simnine is correct, you will find this attitude everywhere, just let it roll off your back and maybe while they are ranting on about how you could never take a proper photo, take one of them or of something behind them. And say "Wow! you missed that opportunity!" I guess the best think to learn is to not be like those people but continue as you are.

One guy said that "you just can't take sharp pictures without a very fast IS lense, and then you have to be a good shooter" another told me that "unless you have been shooting for at least 10 years and have another minimum of 5 years in study absolutely nobody except your internet buddies will take you seriously" What the hell is this crap?

Someone nailed it before my post. It's insecurity that they deal with. Anytime they see someone with a camera or asking questions in regards to cameras/photography they cringe at the fact that it could mean serious competition.

As it is, CanonFan, I'm sure you have taken better pictures than some of them so called 'professionals with an attitude'. Just let it go, smile and get on with your life. Yes, there are many insecure artists around this world, I deal with them as well and all I can do is shake my head and go on with life.

Meanwhile keep you chin up and keep taking pics.

Ya thats pretty much what I am doing. They won't stop my shutter :wink:

It just gets sickening to listen too sometimes :roll:

I have in recent memory taught quite a few evening classes to amateur photographers. There are a lot who are misguided. Most of them are self-taught* and have an awful lot of strange notions.
The best one I came across was the old boy with a Hassleblad. He actually said to me once: 'my camera is a Hasselblad and superior in every way to your 35mm toy so my pictures MUST be better than yours'.
The next week I turned up with my Sinar 10x8!
I wouldn't worry about them - all that puffing and blowing is their way of convincing themselves that they are photographers and therefore your equal.
;-)

*The man who is self-taught has a fool for a teacher - old proverb

Hertz van Rental said:
I have in recent memory taught quite a few evening classes to amateur photographers. There are a lot who are misguided. Most of them are self-taught* and have an awful lot of strange notions.
The best one I came across was the old boy with a Hassleblad. He actually said to me once: 'my camera is a Hasselblad and superior in every way to your 35mm toy so my pictures MUST be better than yours'.
The next week I turned up with my Sinar 10x8!
I wouldn't worry about them - all that puffing and blowing is their way of convincing themselves that they are photographers and therefore your equal.
;-)

*The man who is self-taught has a fool for a teacher - old proverb

It would have been funny if you showed up next week with a $2 disposable and challenged him to a "dual".

I have a big, expensive camera = I am a better photographer!

you'll find this kind of people everywhere. my method is that:
I searched the net to find some eally "misterious" tips and tricks, I mean, some important facts that hardly anyone knows, or just some rare tips with for example post processing and... I shout!

Whenever a "snob" is trying to overtalk me and things he/she is far better than I am, although I know he's not perfect, I shout loudly my "tips and tricks" just to make me feel better :)

Can't really think of anything helpful to say. I invariably get stopped with a large format camera - people are curious to see through the ground glass and ask questions. Some of the chicks even want to get their head underneath my duvet. Er, dark cloth.

I don't think it's anything to do with owning Canon cameras; Canon gear tends to be very modern, the latest bestest GAS stuff which rich amateurs like to use, apeing pro's. Why don't you try going out with an obscure vintage folding camera like a Voigtlander - just borrow one - and hang around with it - don't even need to shoot - but just notice the social interactions. People treat you differently.

If that doesn't work, you're a young man who can speak for himself. Whydya let them talk over you like that? Walk away. Dial someone on your mobile phone. Look at your wrist watch. You're not a passive victim of some one whose capacity to learn is so dwarfed by their phenomenal memory, that all that ever say is the same thing over and over again....because they can't learn newer things.

Camera clubs are very different species to internet chat boards; the former fondle cameras; the latter fumble around each other having a lot more fun ;)

They're compensating with their big lenses! :wink:

:D nice one walt,

I actually never see to many other photogrpahers around. But usually a lot of filmers (for skating) and the only problem i ever have with them is having my flash on while they are filming. Most photographers around here though are pretty friendly- ive never had any experiences like yours though. Still if you out enjoying your photography- ignore them, have fun shooting dosent matter what sort of camera or lenses you have as long as your happy with your results.
I might actually go for a shoot now, just around the beaches, i just decided then when i was reading this.

I just wanted to throw in my 3 cents. I've come across a few photographers at different locations. Once I met a younger pair of Nikon shooters (not that Nikon had anything to do with it) and they were very snobby. Both had a D1H body and one had a 400mm f/2??? gigantic lens. This was at my brother's all-star football game, I had my 20D with 300mm just taking some shots. The one guy came over to me inbetween halves, and I thought I was going to have a cool photography conversation, but alas, the only words he was capable of mumbling were, "Might as well give up, your gear isn't good enough. You need a Nikon to make good pictures" He then let go of his monopod to drink some water, and PLOP, there goes the 400mm front-element first into the mud. I laughed so hard.

But one time at a state forest here in NJ, I ran into an older gentleman with a film Pentax and a shorter lens, I had my new 70-200 f/2.8 attached. He marveled at my lens, and asked if I got any good bird shots. Unfortunately, I had not because I couldn't get close enough to the birds, they're flighty things. He then gave me some advice as to how to catch them and even the types of birds I might find. Just goes to prove that a lens does not make a photographer! In my case I had a lens that cost more than this guy's whole camera setup, yet I couldn't get the shots.

Everyone starts at the beginning. And being pro doesn't mean you stop learning and being amateur doesn't mean you are clueless. The jerks only win if they discourage you from shooting, so don't let them win, load up with film or memory (yes digital is a viable format) and keep shooting until your fingers fall off, but even then, you still have a nose.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back