1000th post 1000 tips

32. Birds KNOW whether you have your camera with you or not. If you don't have it, they'll show off. If you DO, they're nowhere to be found.
33. A corollary to the above rule: When shooting nature, if you have your zoom lens on, the most fascinating insects will land right next to you. If you have your macro lens on, the birds will land in a place that would have been perfect with your zoom lens.
34. (related to kundalini's 27) Even if you KNOW you have spares, before you leave home, visually inspect your camera and bag to be SURE you have said extra batteries and memory cards.

'

35. Always look behind you - you may be missing a better shot.
36. Try to look at things as if you're seeing them for the first time.

Great tips everyone, keep them coming!

Lol Sm and Unpopular good ones :)

I'll add these to the OP when I'm not on the iPod.

38. Treat yourself! Rent a lens (for a week) you can't afford to buy.

Once I got on the wrong city bus and it took over an hour to get to where I wanted to be. Found I left not only my battery and memory card at home, but also my lens adapters and quick release plate. Right as I realized this, the inbound bus that I should have taken passed by, and just my luck - it was around lunch time when buses here don't run! It would be two hours before the next bus came.

I ended up walking home, cussing. So always remember:

39. The longer it takes to get somewhere, the more likely you'll forget some vital piece of equipment that will completely prevent you from taking any photographs. Even if you aren't planning on the trip taking a long time, the longer it takes the less likely you'll be able to succeed.

38. It doesn't matter what mode you use if you have to get a quick shot. It's better to have A shot instead of NO shot at all.

-Ken Turner

Last edited:
41. If you're not at least somewhat disappointed with every photograph you make, then you have a lot yet to learn and chances are you don't even realize it.

42) After you take a composed shot, turn your camera 90°. It doesn't matter whether you go clockwise or counter clockwise (anti for the Europeans and Antipodeans), you are now in Portrait Orientation. This is vastly different form Portrait Mode. Try it, you might like it.

43) Be your own harshest critic. This will be a natural progression for most, but FFS, some need to pick up their step and catch up.

Updated! Awesome tips everyone :) Keep em coming!

44. Keep up with your editing!

45. Try to get it right the first time in camera. Don't rely to heavily on post-processing to correct fundamental technical mistakes/laziness.

46. Try to capture as much data as possible, rather than trying to get it right in camera. It's much easier to discard information than it is to recover what isn't there.

(trollolol)

Use your polarizer filter to reduce glare on water, foilage, windows and other smooth, non-metallic surfaces, and see more detail, and better saturation.

Keep a journal of really good vantage points, special locations/times for natural light, and interesting places to photograph people/nature. If conditions aren't great, plan to return when the conditions are better.

Run through some calibration exercises to really understand the capabilities of your equipment: dynamic range, sharpness of each lens, etc.

Join a photo club and enter some contests - you never know how good (bad) you are until you compare your work with that of others.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back