1000th post 1000 tips

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For my 1000th post I thought a thread of "tips" would be cool!

Can you help me get to 1000 tips in this thread? What have you learned along the way?

Mine will be more geared towards shooting wildlife.

So without further ado here are some things I've learned so far....

1. Even though it's a chore READ YOUR MANUAL!!! I promise it will give you more control over the light and provide you with more creative tools.

2. Ducks are powerful and fast.

3. If you think "maybe I need rubber boots today" bring them!

4. Bring something to sit on, a yoga mat works well.

5. Bring the tripod if you are going to be out late in the day.

6. Let the critters come to you (unless they are coming to you angry).

7. Learn the habits of what you want to shoot. The more you know about how the critter moves the more prepared you will be.

8. Always pay attention to the light, it changes.

9. Always immediately set your camera to the conditions where you are so you are ready.

10. If you are like me and don't like spiders... when walking trails especially narrow ones bring a stick (monopod works well) to clear the trail ahead of you.

11. When you are ready to step out of a trail or into a clearing always stop and look around before you break cover.

12. Get eye level with your critter.

13. Look from every angle.

14. When sitting watching for wildlife check around close to you, critters sneak up when you aren't looking.

15. No matter how excited you get when the critter you were waiting for arrives check your first few shots to make sure you are getting what you think you are getting.

16. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Shoot shoot shoot!

17. Be inspired by others and use it as a tool to figure out who YOU are as a photographer.

18. If you are posting for C&C make sure you want it! Good bad and ugly.

19. At sunset turn around and look, there is neat stuff behind you too.

20. To be continued .....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

20. Never stop learning... asking... reading... experimenting....
21. Always bring your camera
22. Invest in a point and shoot that you like, you can't or at least shouldn't take a dSLR everywhere, and being able to take great photos with a pocketable camera beats lugging a dSLR everywhere or missing the shot entirely.
23. Practice.. You have to take pictures to get better!
24. Don't buy the most expensive model of camera just because someone says its "better". RESEARCH
25. Once you understand exposure and composition, it starts to get really difficult.
26. Chicken wings are for eating, not the way to hold your camera.
27. Remove your lens cap before you start shooting.
28. Keep spare batteries and memory cards with you.
29. Bug spray can make your adventure more pleasant.
30) good post processing is just as much a part of the process as pressing the shutter button. It always has been, even before digital, and it always will be.
31. Shoot raw. Even if it's just for a week or so.
32. Birds KNOW whether you have your camera with you or not. If you don't have it, they'll show off. If you DO, they're nowhere to be found.
33. A corollary to the above rule: When shooting nature, if you have your zoom lens on, the most fascinating insects will land right next to you. If you have your macro lens on, the birds will land in a place that would have been perfect with your zoom lens.
34. (related to kundalini's 28) Even if you KNOW you have spares, before you leave home, visually inspect your camera and bag to be SURE you have said extra batteries and memory cards.
35. Always look behind you - you may be missing a better shot.
36. Try to look at things as if you're seeing them for the first time.
37. Use your friggin spot meter!
38. Treat yourself! Rent a lens (for a week) you can't afford to buy.
39. The longer it takes to get somewhere, the more likely you'll forget some vital piece of equipment that will completely prevent you from taking any photographs. Even if you aren't planning on the trip taking a long time, the longer it takes the less likely you'll be able to succeed.
40. It doesn't matter what mode you use if you have to get a quick shot. It's better to have A shot instead of NO shot at all.
41. If you're not at least somewhat disappointed with every photograph you make, then you have a lot yet to learn and chances are you don't even realize it.
42. After you take a composed shot, turn your camera 90°. It doesn't matter whether you go clockwise or counter clockwise (anti for the Europeans and Antipodeans), you are now in Portrait Orientation. This is vastly different form Portrait Mode. Try it, you might like it.
43. Be your own harshest critic. This will be a natural progression for most, but FFS, some need to pick up their step and catch up.

Last edited:
20. Never stop learning... asking... reading... experimenting....

21) Invest in a point and shoot that you like, you can't or at least shouldn't take a dSLR everywhere, and being able to take great photos with a pocketable camera beats lugging a dSLR everywhere or missing the shot entirely.

22. Practice.. You have to take pictures to get better! :D

23: Don't buy the most expensive model of camera just because someone says its "better". RESEARCH

24) Once you understand exposure and composition, it starts to get really difficult.

or really any product you purchase...

25) Chicken wings are for eating, not the way to hold your camera.

26) Remove your lens cap before you start shooting.

27) Keep spare batteries and memory cards with you.

28) Bug spray can make your adventure more pleasant.

Great ones so far guys and gals!

I suspect that there will be contradicting tips that will fit for different people along the way, should be interesting!

30) good post processing is just as much a part of the process as pressing the shutter button. It always has been, even before digital, and it always will be.

31. Shoot raw. Even if it's just for a week or so.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back