What's new

#1375

Bitter Jeweler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Apr 27, 2009
Messages
12,983
Reaction score
5,003
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
.



8133021494_0470987ec9_o.jpg




.
 
On my Macintosh system I would use the command, Right click..."Move To Trash"...it's very efficient...less work than actually dragging it to the Trash...
 
10 + stops under......maybe the noise will be interesting if you lighten it.
 
It was a dark and gloomy place. A bit of light shone upon the makeshift shelf below a small mirror. The light above it has burned out long ago, and was never replaced. It didn't matter what it showed before, it wasn't going to change.

The shelf held two containers. One was clear, and had liquid in it. It could have been water, or spirits. One would have served to quench the thirst of the body, and the other would have quenched the pain of the soul. Besides it was an empty jar from a vegetable juice drink. Even under these conditions, someone thought that getting the vitamins was important.

The plastic sink below it was not very clean, but neither was it disgustingly dirty. Just dirty enough that you knew no woman was ever responsible for what was in it. Fortunately, the blood that was in it before had been washed away and there was just a hint of its former presence by the dark speckles on the upper reaches.

It felt cold.
 
I don't understand the subject....I love dark and gloomy photos but there has to be a subject if it is the sink (only guessing cause it is hard to make out) it is way to small to be the subject.
 
The white page is just killing it. If I could see it on black I may be able to tell you something.
 
The enigma of number is just accentuated by that of image...clueless :scratch:
 
On my Macintosh system I would use the command, Right click..."Move To Trash"...it's very efficient...less work than actually dragging it to the Trash...

I appreciate your candor, always.
You'll get a laugh out of knowing this one is getting printed and framed.
What do you always say about the taste of the general public?


As far as being under exposed. It looks how it looked in real life. That was my goal. You can easily do a long exposure of this scene to make it look like noon on Sunday, but that changes everything!

Pgriz, that it illicited a story from you was entirely worth the "risk" of posting something that i knew would be seen as questionable. :thumbup:


Bent, yes put it on black. This is one instance that I would agree that the white background is not favorable.
 
No color sync profile is embedded, so we have no idea what Bitter may have had in mind. When I pulled it into Photoline, it looked a lot better than in browser.

Still, a boost to the hilights, and the image improves - still not sure i'm getting what Bitter saw here:

$8133021494_0470987ec9_o.webp

(be sure to click on image for CM version)
 
Ohhhhhhhhhh, it's gonna be PRINTED????? That changes everything!!!! My mother-in-law had some crappy pics from Europe printed too, so now they adorn walls where people can experience their mediocrity in the REAL world!!! Awesommmmme!!!!!!!!!! I hear Kits Camera prints 8x10's for $1.99 on Thursdays!!! I'd go with a nice 4x6 for 29 cents, and a Goodwill frame. Printed any larger than 4x6 inches and it might overwhelm viewers with its awesomeness. Wouldn't want that now, would we???
 
I find it definitely dark, unconventional, a little uncomfortable, and even almost depressing. And yet I keep getting drawn back to look at it. I think the composition draws me in and makes me want to look for more. The unique nature of the subject works - if it were something normal and expected, I wouldn't be nearly as drawn to find more. I do like the boost in highlights, but deffinitely wouldn't want anymore than that.
 
Derrel, I think you're being a little harsh. Yes, the image is dark and "usually" moving a similar image to trash, as you say, is a normal reaction. But let's back up a little. David gave us an image which is, using convention, "not pretty". Using photographic terms, we can say that it's too dark, too much dead space, not very sharp, centered composition. All true. And yet, it appeals to me, partly because it is suggestive, and unfinished. It is an incomplete image - it requires us to inject ourselves into the image and explore. There are all kinds of narratives that can be created with the image as a base. My story was what I imagined when I saw it. Obviously, there are other possibilities.

Even the "faults" of the image contribute to its use as an inspiration for a viewer-created story. The dimness gives a feeling that we may be looking through a window. What we see is not very clear, and again, that would be the case if we were looking through a window into an industrial space. The lack of sharpness again supports the window idea. The central positioning of the lit area emphasizes the darkness surrounding it, and the vertical columns and pipes give the feeling of it being industrial. The wash basin obviously is for people to use, and someone thought a mirror would be useful. The floor looks reasonably clean, so we can see it's not a rundown building.

Frankly, I think this image was David's challenge to us to see what we could construct with it. But it does require us to expend some mental energy looking at it and trying to figure it out. It certainly is not a cup of tea that all will enjoy, but I personally like the flavour.
 
Gotta agree with Derrel on this one. Just not seeing it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom