16-85mm Vs. 18-200mm vs. tokina 16-50mm

TeeZeeMee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i have been looking at these 3 lenses and been wondering from y'alls experience, which would be the best all around daily lens to use for a primary lens.
Most shots would be street/some nature/portraits. I use a D90.

My first DSLR combo ever was a D90 + the 16-85. Honestly, it is amazing. Until I grab my FX cam it will always be my goto lens. It's sharp, the VR also works great.

Now, that being said, there are two additional opinions I will impart.

1) I've used the 18-200 on vacation. Also a great lens... Not as sharp as the 16-85 and more distortion. But, very similar IQ and if you want more reach and are only owning ONE lens. Go for it. If you are planning a system and eventually would like to add more glass (ie. telephoto) then go 16-85. Both are great walkarounds. Just depends on how much reach you want and how much foot zooming you want to do.

2). Either way... Get one used. The 16-85 is overpriced new. But as a $500 used lens it is perfect! I'm actually selling mine for $495 with a filter right now as I have got my 24-70 fx in hand now. Message me if you want. If you go 18-200 also look used as well. I've seen some for some really good prices!

I have no experience with that particular tokina, but I own the 11-16 ultra-wide and it performs great on my d7k. Great build too. I also enjoy their macro. Not sure if the same is true for all their lenses, but it seems their build quality and performance is right up there.

In conclusion, my personal preference would be (if I were buying in order of choice)

1: 16-85 (used)
2: 18-200 (used with VRII and the zoom lock)
3: 18-200 (used previous gen.. Beware of a bit of zoom creep, but optical is fine)
4: tokina

Hope that helps!

Lem

i really am looking for something so i dont have to carry around a bunch of lenses and switch out a bunch. honestly id like one walk around lens, a dedicated wide angle lens and then maybe a macro lens if i need it? i know that 3rd party lens makers arent always reliable but there some interesting choices out there like the tamron 18-270.

honestly if anyone has a good suggestion on a overall good walk around lens to use as a primary id appreciate it

Most reactions

Back