Which lens next for my kit - Fisheye or 70-200mm? (Nikon D7500 & D7000)

TheGongoozler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I own a D7500 and D7000 and shoot primarily concerts and weddings.

Current lenses:
Sigma Art 50-100mm f/1.8
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8
Nikon 50mm f/1.8

I know that I want to add both a fisheye and a longer zoom (something like a 70-200mm). Which would you get first, and within each option, what are some great bang for the buck choices (I prefer to buy used to get more for my money)?

I've been looking at these:

Used AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED - $649​

Used Nikon AF DX Fisheye-NIKKOR 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Lens - $329​

Last edited:
I own a D7500 and D7000 and shoot primarily concerts and weddings.

Current lenses:
Sigma Art 50-100mm f/1.8
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8
Nikon 50mm f/1.8

I know that I want to add both a fisheye and a longer zoom (something like a 70-200mm). Which would you get first, and within each option, what are some great bang for the buck choices (I prefer to buy used to get more for my money)?

I've been looking at these:

Used AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED - $649​

Used Nikon AF DX Fisheye-NIKKOR 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Lens - $329​

We don't know what else you want to photograph, so it would be inane for anyone to recommend anything. Someone will probably pretend to suggest something anyway, though. LOL!
Late edit (about 1900 PDT): If your shortest lens is too long, go for a shorter lens. If your longest lens is too short, go for a longer lens.

Last edited:
Which one do you NEED the most?
Which one will pay for itself in your business?

Get the 70-200, it's one of the best lenses Nikon makes..very tough, very flexible, great image quality, and the reach at f/2.8 will be a big plus in concert settings.
But that seems like a very low price, what kind of shape is it in?

Don't spend the money on a Nikon fisheye, I have a Pro-Optic and it is a great lens especially at the price point. The only downside is that it is a fully manual lens.

I get suspicious when I see these types of questions especially from someone who just joined the forum, but here goes. Look for a new camera body first. FF bodies with two mem card slots are better suited for weddings and concerts. Many are moving to mirrorless as they are virtually silent, but for a dslr you might want to look at a used D750, which can be found used in excellent condition for about $900. As far as glass goes, you've got what you need for weddings and concerts. You cover 17-100mm now with decent glass, a pretty good range. After that it's a personal choice that only you can make. For me, I frequently use the 70-200mm f/2.8 for what I shoot most, but that's because it is suited to what I shoot.

You really shoot weddings with a D7500?

Get the 70-200, it's one of the best lenses Nikon makes..very tough, very flexible, great image quality, and the reach at f/2.8 will be a big plus in concert settings.
But that seems like a very low price, what kind of shape is it in?

Don't spend the money on a Nikon fisheye, I have a Pro-Optic and it is a great lens especially at the price point. The only downside is that it is a fully manual lens.
I concur ... mostly.

I have the pro optic fisheye and seldom use it.

I have an 80-200 2.8 and also seldom use it solely due to the weight.

I also have a 70-200 f4 which is my go to sports lens and far less tiring with nearly no difference in background blur.

I concur ... mostly.

I also have a 70-200 f4 which is my go to sports lens and far less tiring with nearly no difference in background blur.

I too have and use the 70-200 f/4 glass. It's amazing.

Get both. ;)

As mentioned earlier, get whatever will help you in your business (if it's a business).

I concur ... mostly.

I may not use the fisheye very often but I have FUN every time I do. It does a lot right and very little wrong especially at the price point.

Personally, I'm more interested the extra speed f/2.8 provides, backgrounds tend to take care of themselves with a long lens. And don't mind the bulk since I shoot with a D3 and D4.

I'm not familiar with the 70-200 f/4 but it sounds like it works well for you and that is all that counts.

Looks like the OP joined, did this one post, then skipped town. Why does this happen? Maybe an Admin should lock or delete this one.

I may not use the fisheye very often but I have FUN every time I do. It does a lot right and very little wrong especially at the price point.

Personally, I'm more interested the extra speed f/2.8 provides, backgrounds tend to take care of themselves with a long lens. And don't mind the bulk since I shoot with a D3 and D4.

I'm not familiar with the 70-200 f/4 but it sounds like it works well for you and that is all that counts.
There is a pretty healthy cost upgrade for 1 stop also.

Keep in mind, any difference in speed is only at that 1 stop, which is IMHO minimal as far as background blur but the weight is there always as is the lost funds.

Whichever you choose, enjoy.

Most reactions

Back