I assume you are talking about Canon, since I know they have a 17-85mm...but I could be wrong.
If so, the Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS, is an OK lens. It's better than the original EF-S 18-55mm 'kit lens', but I haven't really compared it to the newer version of the 18-55mm. The 17-85mm is a good range, but the maximum aperture is limited at only F4-5.6. Also, I believe it is prone to more barrel distortion than a better quality lens might be.
I still use my 17-85mm for playing around, even though I bought a better lens, the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.
There is actually a new lens, I think it's 15-85mm, that is supposed to be better than the 17-85mm.
In terms of sharpness, most of these 'consumer grade' lenses are the same. They are a lot better when used at optimal settings and a lot worse near the extremes. For example, they are pretty good at F8 or F11, but not so good when wide open. They usually show weaknesses at the widest zoom and the longest zoom etc.
All the lenses you mention are EF-S, and as such, are not compatible with full frame cameras. So if it's your intention to upgrade to full frame, then avoid EF-S lenses and stick with EF lenses.