17 year old in need of help

vade

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey guys im new here just wanted to say hello. i just got a new 400d im just messing around with it. ive read alot about photography but theres still some things that i dont know about yet but i dont want to worrie too much about cause im still young. i was just wondering what pictures should a starting photographer should be taking pictures of cause i would like to get into alot of different types of photos. im saying what should i start off taking pictures of. the most forgiving kind of picture just to start off with first.

Take pictures of EVERYTHING! That's the beauty of digital. You'll develop direction over time, and it may take a while. Until then, just keep snapping away and see what turns out good and what you get the most enjoyment from.

There are no guidelines. Take pictures of anything and everything. It's how you portray whatever it is that you are taking photos of that matters most.

when I first started out.. ! now.. through much experience, I can share tips with you.

Most people when starting out THINK too BIG! by that statement I mean,

don't go looking for that majestic scene or awesome photograph that you just can't wait to capture..

first you have to learn how to see.!

where do I go? Answer.. NO PLACE.!

just open your eyes! yeah I Know you want to create an image of something spectacular. and to do that you have to learn how to LOOK!

ALL AROUND YOU.. right where you are this very minute.!

Let me illustrate.. ! you have a bicycle ? good.. now if you were to go take a photo of that bike.. or someone else's

you would most certainly try.. to capture the entire bike in one frame of film.

no! wrong! sit down and study that bike for about 5 miutes with camera in hand.. bring it up to your eyes and LOOK...

at the chain... the big pedal sprocket it is attached to.. hmmm.interesting .. move in closer.. whoa! now move around and FIND A PLEASING PATTERN to capture.. it is the spokes coming off that wheel.?

LOOK. shoot up an entire roll of film.. ooos! I forgot.. ! digital age is here.. I have a rare disease.. which I suffer from , it is called
sum-timers because i forget sometimes!

spend an hour or two.. and learn how to LOOK and OPEN your eyes.. WHILE YOUR LOOKING though that viewfinder.! for something pleasing to capture.
when that is finished.. and your happy.. then take a walk around the outside of your house or where you live and look.. think SMALL. LOOK..

Practice this. and you will be come quite adept at finding things you never ever saw before.

COMPOSITION.. the most important aspect of photography, after proper exposure and sharpness .

how do you learn this.? forget reading books and such.. there are just too many books on comp.
I have a much better time test method I use for all my students.

I am not a teacher, I have never been to any school or class for photography. I am an electrican. retired. but I know all about photography..I have taught pros, I have taught Kodak! true story. I
came so close to getting 10 million! from kodak.. "we have been trying to do this for over sixty years.. get this patented they said.

now I am going to teach you how to master composition the easy way.
my way. the way I teach all my students.

Next time you pick up any book or magazine. study these images carefully and ask your self questions.. learn how to see. learn how to look
you are looking at photographs taken by professionals!!

pay attention to every detail in that image.! what angle did they use.
can you perhaps figure out a better angle ? hmmm.!!

http://majikimaje.com

I agree... shot EVERYTHING... i find shooting things that your interested helps a lot... but just go out and shoot... look at other peoples works... and shoot... learn some techniques... and shoot...
If you want to learn specifics of lighting or anything else concentrate on that but if your not getting into it hardcore just shoot whatever... and that will help you find what you like to shoot... and the more you like a subject that you photograph the better you will get at photographing it... so... SHOOT EVERYTHING!

yes. . right on.. great advice. for sure for sure. but the part I like the BEST about what you said.. "..go look at other peoples works."..

every tme.. I would get to the point ot "thinking I had something nice.. great or whatever.. I would go out.. and look at other peoples work and hang my head. and sulk back to the house and grab a new roll and charge right back out there.. and do the same thing. I am a very slow learner.
it took me a long time..

BUT EVERY GREAT PROTOGRAPHER I have ever "read" and met always say the same thng. my greatest photos.. "were accidents."

true.. some / many / most are planned.. but the GREATEST ONES.

read3.JPG

thnx alot for all of your awesoem responses i took the time to go to borders earlier to look at alot of books i have an idea of some photos soon to be comeing :)

And of course, the greatest thing about digital is that you can shoot and shoot and shoot without wasting any film or $$. Experiment, go out on a limb, leave your comfort zone and take chances. As Maj mentioned, you will learn to see things differently. Good luck to you.

Whenever you get to a scene however spectacular it is don't rush in blindly snapping away. Sure take a general overview but then look around. It's all too easy to get caught up with the beauty of the scene around you. But you are experiencing this scene with all five senses. You feel the sun on your face and the breeze, you hear the bird whistles and you smell the grass in the meadow or wherever you are. You are seeing the scene in glorious 3d but your camera cannot capture all that so you have to find ways of capturing the scene in a 2 dimensional sense. Also you have selective vision. You can ignore things that get in the way of a good photograph however your camera can't do that either. It captures EVERYTHING warts and all so you have to find ways to eliminate undesirable elements that get in the way of a good image. Kneel down, get higher if you can. Walk a little to the left then to the right. Walk forward. Get closer. Often the best view is not the first view you see.
Try to use lines to lead your eye into the image. See what you can use to frame the image. Maybe an overhanging branch.
Look for undesirable elements. Pylons and electricity wire. A piece of garbage that maybe lying on the ground. Look to see how you can eliminate these unwanted elements. There is nothing worse than taking what you think is a stunning image then getting the photo back and there is a really obvious eyesore in the photo that you didn't see when taking it. That's an all too easy mistake to make.
And above all else just keep snapping. The more images you take the better your chance of getting the photo you are looking for.

go wild with your digital camera.....you never need to worry about wasting $$$ like you do with film.....take every possible shot at every possible setting to get a feel of how the camera works......and during the process.... you'll find out which area you are interested in the most......dont decide on a direction until you've tried them all.....and since you are a beginner.....i would try to use a one fix scene.....apply different setting to observe the effect....this way you learn how the camera works and what they different setting practically mean......better than reading the book (but of course you'll need to learn first from the book to at least know which effect you will be looking for)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back