18-55 kit versus 50mm 1.8G - side by side comparison

I agree with you. I have both lenses. I have the 18-55 VR and it certainly gives stellar results. People put it down because of its price and it is politically correct. No doubt, it is a cheap lens and cheaply built. It may fall apart at critical time. Which, you don't want it happen when you are in Timbuktu or a wedding ceremony. At that point you want dust, water and drop resistant. For that you pay dearly. I am glad that Nikon put out such a lens for the ordinary people. Ordinary people deserves a good and affordable lens.

The 50mm is a different lens. For me, it is for different purposes. Don't forget the AF-S 35mm f1.8 on a D7000, in my opinion, is better than the 5D MKII with a EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM.

PS: use a flash

Try a comparison between the 50mm at 2.8 and the kit lens at 2.8. That's where you will start to see the differences.

I have a funny feeling that the prime lens might perform slightly better at that aperture ;)

eek.gif

The photos vanished

eek.gif

The photos vanished

"Shocking!!!!!!!!!!" Seriously though, this was like a 3-minute, one shot from each lens, upload the pics, total elapsed time, 10 minutes kind of deal...the original photos were poorly done, and showed very little of anything from either lens...

Derrel said:
"Shocking!!!!!!!!!!" Seriously though, this was like a 3-minute, one shot from each lens, upload the pics, total elapsed time, 10 minutes kind of deal...the original photos were poorly done, and showed very little of anything from either lens...

Hey, I'm new at this. Give a guy a break, k?

^breaks are hardly given when the OP removes original images b/c of critique......

Geaux said:
^breaks are hardly given when the OP removes original images b/c of critique......

I removed them for other reasons. This thread had been dead for quite some time.

Most reactions

Back