18mm - 275mm vs. 75mm - 300 What is better and why?

tkruger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I shoot mainly outdoors nature and landscapes. I just recently purchased my first DSLR (Canon T3). I received an 18mm - 55mm and an 75mm - 300mm lenses with it. I am looking at different future lense purchases if needed.

I have seen that they make an 18mm - 275mm lens. Would this allow me to shoot with this one lens all day without the need to swap between the two I have? What is the advantage of this lense over the two I have? Is this one worth it? I am looking mainly for quality for the lowest price point.

Generally speaking, "do-it-all" lenses are convenient, but have a lot of optical issues-distortion at the wide end, softness at the long end, etc. While they may be convenient, you often end up significantly compromising your image quality. Personally, I would go with the 18-55 and 75-300 combo as a place to start. And grab a nifty fifty (50mm 1.8) lens--they are pretty cheap and provide relatively good optics, esp. for their price.

Best,
Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like the lenses you have are excellent lenses to begin with. If this is your first DSLR the most important thing you can do is LEARN how to use your camera. I am a beginner - just got off "Auto" about a year ago. What I have learned from that has provided some EXCEPTIONAL photos, but only because I have been learning how to use my camera. I have a Sigma 17-70 and a Canon f4-5.6 70-300 IS USM. The two are pretty similar to what you are using.

I shoot mostly Outdoors and Wildlife - the 70-300 is my "go to" lens for the wildlife. I have some incredible pictures of Birds in Flight and Wild Horses from that lens. The 17-70 does all my "Walk Around" and Landscape photography. Between the two I have everything I need. I also carry a "50" which is great when I can get close enough or am doing Indoor family shots, but Outdoors it's mostly my 70-300.

Avoid what is known as "GAS" (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), having the best gear DOES NOT make good photography. Knowing the gear you have and being creative with it does. Yes, it is good to have the best gear, my next step will be to move into the "L" series of lenses, but I will only do that once I am satisfied with what I am producing with the gear I have. My eye is on the Canon f2.8L 70-200 IS II, that is only a $2500 investment. I am not ready to invest until I know what I am doing, with what I have.

Look for a book "Understanding Exposure" - it is great, then there are a whole number of other resources available to learn the mechanics. Google and You Tube have awesome information, then it is a matter of having fun and learning as we go. The gear is MUCH LESS important than the knowledge.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back