1980's Magazine Look

MohaimenK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Inspired by Benjamin Kanare from his blog: Benjamin Kanarek Blog | Benjamin Kanarek Blog

"There is a new look on the fashion photography scene that is being propagated throughout several of the major magazines and their web counterparts. That is that 1980′s blown out, overexposed skin tone look and effect."

As I didn't have enough time/place to do this last night. I gave it a shot. I've learned a few things also. Going to have to give it another try on the driveway this time as I have more room to work with. But this is a half body version. Yes it's overexposed skin and yes everything but the eyes have blur.

246862_10150205069358370_781018369_7248770_6002067_n.jpg

Hmmm? Not sure, but I think it should have stayed in the 80's. I'm sure there is a place for it, but it just isn't my preference.

Hmmm? Not sure, but I think it should have stayed in the 80's. I'm sure there is a place for it, but it just isn't my preference.

Fashion seems to be going into loops. 70's fashions were popular a few years ago, now its the 80s.
Many photographers won't like it but sometimes fashion doesn't meet with normal rules of photography.

The blur is ruining the photo...there's no need to blur anything...this is supposed to be done in-camera, without post processing manipulations like blur layers and erasing...

The blur is ruining the photo...there's no need to blur anything...this is supposed to be done in-camera, without post processing manipulations like blur layers and erasing...

Yeah you're right, but with my little knowledge this is what I could come up with :(

But he's using a blur filter which I don't have. So I used the blur filter on Photoshop.

Uh, Mo, Benji suggested the use of a BLUE filter when shooting these. DId I miss reading about a suggestion to use a "blur filter"? I am 100 percent positive that Benji mentioned using a blue filter. In your first effort here, I think the skin tone is just a wee bit too hot.

Uh, Mo, Benji suggested the use of a BLUE filter when shooting these. DId I miss reading about a suggestion to use a "blur filter"?

:lmao:

Uh, Mo, Benji suggested the use of a BLUE filter when shooting these. DId I miss reading about a suggestion to use a "blur filter"? I am 100 percent positive that Benji mentioned using a blue filter. In your first effort here, I think the skin tone is just a wee bit too hot.

Missread it. You're more than welcome to try it and show your result. I do not have your or Benji's experties when it comes to Photography. But end of the day Benji was happy with my result and said I did a great job, I'm happy. Thanks for looking. And now you got R'Tard ^^ all excited. "Mr. Know it all but nothing to show"

Yeah, you misread it. It's not about photographic expertise, it's about being able to READ the DIRECTIONS. Go back to the article you linked us to,and re-READ the "blue filter" suggestion. Also, re-read the part where Benji mentions that NO PHOTOSHOP was around in the 1980's...you 'effed it up on two counts. If you wanna' get snippy with me, fine, but don't blame me because you cannot follow basic directions.

Yeah, you misread it. It's not about photographic expertise, it's about being able to READ the DIRECTIONS. Go back to the article you linked us to,and re-READ the "blue filter" suggestion. Also, re-read the part where Benji mentions that NO PHOTOSHOP was around in the 1980's...you 'effed it up on two counts. If you wanna' get snippy with me, fine, but don't blame me because you cannot follow basic directions.

Do it and get back to me.
I guess you simply didn't understand the part "I did what I could w/ the knowledge I have". Read my first post again.

I would suggest trying this again with a different wardrobe. You might like the result better.

Also, her skin doesn't have that popping blown out effect. The entire photo just looks a little over exposed.

I would suggest trying this again with a different wardrobe. You might like the result better.

Also, her skin doesn't have that popping blown out effect. The entire photo just looks a little over exposed.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to re do this. It was extremely hard when I did this. As I don't have studio space tall enough to try this indoor, I did this in the back patio in total dark. I only had a flashlight that I could use to lock focus. Benji's post was really about the lighting, not the blur effect on the image. Although they didn't have Photoshop back then, they had the power to dodge and burn image and I am very sure that was done in this as well. I could be wrong though as I don't know film. Beside the blur effect I only burned part of the face and played with saturation. Which I'm guessing they could do with films and the ability to raise the brightness?

I guess basically I did with Photoshop, what they could do with film. Had I owned a darkroom, I would probably have probably did what I was limited to do with chemicals.

I've seen a lot of Benjamin Kanare's work, and I think I've seen one single photo I liked. The rest is very basic.

I've seen a lot of Benjamin Kanare's work, and I think I've seen one single photo I liked. The rest is very basic.

And what exactly does this have to do with the OP's post? :er:

(and I disagree)

Let me slap it up and make it obvious. The discussion was about the OP's photo inspired by "Benjikan"... not whether or not you liked Ben's photos. sheesh.

Most reactions

Back