1st DLSR - Help me choose!

lyssaness11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm buying my first DSLR and I've narrowed it down to Canon and Nikon. I haven't really narrowed down my budget yet, so it's between the D5000 and the Rebel XSi, and the D90 and the Rebel T2i...

What I'm concerned about is the lens systems. I don't have an unlimited bank account, and I've noticed I can get Canon lenses cheaper than Nikkor, but most of them are the EF-S lenses, which might be a gambled buy since they're more specific and might not fit all Canon cameras. However, there is a wider variety of Canon than Nikkor.

So I keep going in circles - should I buy the Canon and go with the cheaper/better selection of lenses? Or should I buy the Nikon and spend time saving up money?

I'd definitely go with the D90 over the D5000 if you go with Nikon.. the D5000 doesn't have an in-body focus motor so you have to buy lenses with built-in motors.. which makes the lenses cost significantly more.

And keep in mind you don't need to buy Nikkor lenses. Sigma and Tamron also make good lenses and are generally quite a bit cheaper than their Nikkor counterparts.

I'm buying my first DSLR and I've narrowed it down to Canon and Nikon. I haven't really narrowed down my budget yet, so it's between the D5000 and the Rebel XSi, and the D90 and the Rebel T2i...

What I'm concerned about is the lens systems. I don't have an unlimited bank account, and I've noticed I can get Canon lenses cheaper than Nikkor, but most of them are the EF-S lenses, which might be a gambled buy since they're more specific and might not fit all Canon cameras. However, there is a wider variety of Canon than Nikkor.

So I keep going in circles - should I buy the Canon and go with the cheaper/better selection of lenses? Or should I buy the Nikon and spend time saving up money?

The only bodies the EF-S lenses won't fit are full-frame (5D, 5DmarkII, and the 1Ds series). It'll fit every other DSLR Canon sells.

I *would* recommend going for mostly EF lenses over EF-S. Yes, EF-S are cheaper, and yes, they're good for all but full-frame cameras...but the image quality is *usually* better on EF lenses (with quite a few exceptions). All L lenses are EF.

If you're choosing between the D5000 and the D90, I would definately go with the D90, I cannot however tell you anything about Canon, (my apologies). The reason the D90, If you have 2 lenses persay an AF-S and a AF-D or AF, only the AF-S lens will AutoFocus on the D5000 while all of them will AutoFocus on the D90 due to the D90 having a built in focus motor. The built in motor is probably one of the best features on the D90. If you can go for that one since it's the most "BANG" for your buck.

Good luck hope this helps.

Yes the lenses that have AF motors in them are AF-s and AF-I lenses, If they are AF-D or AF, AS for Nikkor lenses they do NOT have AF motors in them. Therefore will NOT AF with the D5000. Due to the D90 having this motor in the body you can AF with alot more lenses.

I would go with the Canon XSI. I own one and am very happy with it. You can't go wrong with price. As far as the T1i, not much difference other than price and it can do video which i think is a waste of money. Buy the XSI and the money saved in difference from the T1i buy another lens.

I would go with the Canon XSI. I own one and am very happy with it. You can't go wrong with price. As far as the T1i, not much difference other than price and it can do video which i think is a waste of money. Buy the XSI and the money saved in difference from the T1i buy another lens.

I don;t know much about Canons but I do not think that the XSI has an AF motor in it. If it does it's also a good buy but you'll have to research lenses.
The Nikon D90 has this motor like i've stated before and is a great body for its price I've seen them go as low as $530 body only.

There are only 6 or 7 EF-S lenses out of the 60+ lens line up from Canon, so most of their lenses aren't cheaper. As was said in an earlier post, EF-S lenses are generally not as good as their EF counterparts. Lenses like the 17-55 f/2.8 IS and the 10-22 are excellent EF-S lenses, but you're paying over $700 for each of those. With the rare exception of something like the 50mm f/1.8, good cheap lenses are just a fable.

I don;t know much about Canons but I do not think that the XSI has an AF motor in it. If it does it's also a good buy but you'll have to research lenses.
The Nikon D90 has this motor like i've stated before and is a great body for its price I've seen them go as low as $530 body only.

None of the Canons do, they're all in lens.

i think the canon d550 is probably the best valued and provides the best entry level performance

Thanks for verifying that VI, you're just talking about the canons mentioned correct? lol.
I don't get why you wouldn't buy the D90, simply do to being able to use more lenses to AF with.

Thanks for verifying that VI, you're just talking about the canons mentioned correct? lol.
I don't get why you wouldn't buy the D90, simply do to being able to use more lenses to AF with.

No, all Canon EOS DSLRs have autofocus in all of the lenses. There's no need for an in body focus motor. They're called EF lenses for "ElectroFocus", the mount Canon switched to in the 80's to support AF.

No, all Canon EOS DSLRs have autofocus in all of the lenses. There's no need for an in body focus motor. They're called EF lenses for "ElectroFocus", the mount Canon switched to in the 80's to support AF.

Oh okay! So all lenses match every body on the canons? Dam! That's way better then Nikkor af/af-s lenses ahahahaha. :grumpy:

Thanks for the info, guys... Unfortunately, due to my budget, I'm going to end up choosing between the D5000 and the XSi... and thoughts?

Should I avoid the D5000 because of the lack of focus motor?

At similar price points the Canons and Nikons are going to be pretty similar. If you have a very specific interest there might be a difference, and there are some folks on here who know these cameras well enough to steer you to one or the other. However, if you don't have a specific use in mind which would drive the decision, the most common advice I've seen here (and tend to agree with) is to go put your hands on each of them and see how they feel to you. The technologies are pretty comparable but the ergonomics are not necessarily so - not that one is better than the other, they're just different, so feel which one is more comfortable to you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back