1st Moon Shot C&C

trades2cash

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay i thought i would try a moon shot. It was not quite dark yet but i kinda like the dark blue sky. I used a tripod and timer and manual focus. Manual Mode, Shutter 1/500, Aperture 5.6, ISO 100, focal length 300mm. Please let me know what you think and how i could improve. Thanks signed Randall.
DSC_0029_01-Copy.jpg

Last edited:
I am a new noob as well but I dont think you need that fast of a shutter speed for the moon. Atleast you are trying.

Pretty good. Next time try having your aperture at about f/8 and ss around 1/256th

I am a new noob as well but I dont think you need that fast of a shutter speed for the moon. Atleast you are trying.

It might not need to be quite that high but you still want it pretty high some will tell you its like taking a picture of the sun.

the moon is VERY bright, more bright than you think!

Also, the moon does move fairly quickly, so you dont really want to be doing 30 second exposure on moons even if you could! motion blur!)

Thanks for the tips everyone. I will try your settings next time Jaszek. Thanks again....signed Randall

Thanks for the tips everyone. I will try your settings next time Jaszek. Thanks again....signed Randall

1/4000 is about the best setting you could get to prevent motion blur. from that distance, the longer the zoom - you need faster shutter speed...1/4000 will get you a decent shot.

1/4000 is about the best setting you could get to prevent motion blur. from that distance, the longer the zoom - you need faster shutter speed...1/4000 will get you a decent shot.

This is demonstrably incorrect. Even with a 1000 mm equivalent lens on a 24 Mpx camera, it would take 0.08 seconds for the moon to move 1 pixel, equivalent to a 1/12.5-second exposure.

With a 300mm lens and a ~10 Mpx camera, it'll take around 0.35 seconds for it to move 1 pixel.

When I took a pic of the moon, I set the ISO to 100, shutter speed to 1/100, and aperture to 16.

LunarShot.jpg

Idaho21 that seems like the sunny 16 rule to me iso 100 1/100 @ f16 threfore reforceing that the moon is like taking a photo on a bright sunny day.

That's what it is. I read that it was helpful for taking pics of the moon and gave it a try. It seemed to work well for me.

Most reactions

Back