1st newborn shoot

billross77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did this shoot for a friend of mine with their 5 day old baby Kaitlyn. I would appreciate C&C as I have never done these before. All photos posted were taken @50mm f8.

Bill.. take a real serious look at the skin tones on each shot... and tell me what you see! Compare the colors, and the brightness....

It's a beautiful set for a first newborn!
Image 1 could benefit from a little creative composition. Baby is smack in the middle of the image and it's not going to print to any standard size without major cropping issues. You have a lot of props going on in that image. The curly blanket, green sacque, huge pink headband and a giant flower overpowering the baby. Exposure, color and sharpness are beautiful.

Image 2 is really flat on the color and looks like you used the clarity slider on the baby's face. Muddy looking. It's a gorgeous image with a more pleasing composition than the first. The angle leads you thru the image a bit. Still not going to print to any standard size without major cropping issues. The shadow from the sacque/blanket on the baby's face is really unfortunate. Newborns are all about the baby and that shadow takes from it. Exposure, focus are good. Color is a bit gray/flat. Tons of props going on here too.

Image 3 is really really pink. When I click into it and look at the larger size it almost looks like you tried to sharpen to save focus and/or that it was maybe seriously underexposed and bumped up with some major skin smoothing/noise reduction done. You have a lot of props going on again. Exposure looks good-I think. Depends what it looks like after you fix the color issue. THis one might print better to some sizes, but an 8x10 is going to cut into that little arm making it a real problem drawing the eye off the page. As it sits the arm is SWEET and perfect. Just won't print that way.

I am marginally "okay" with #1, and #2, but #3...ehhh...that particular overall color cast is just unflattering. The pose though, is quite cute. I'd re-do #3,and it'll be just fine. On #1, the cropping seems a bit too tight at the top of the frame.

Thanks for the help. I'm still learning how many small details come into play.

Most reactions

Back