2 From Easter ( Flower Basket and Jesus and a little Boy)

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Two HDR's I shot today with the new D700. I don't have a wide angle lens yet so I used my 50mm 1.8G

Easter Basket I took my mother 7 shots from -3 ----- +3

easter basket by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

Jesus and a little Boy This was shot hand held in the church after mass today. It was only -1,0,+1 since it was going to be hand held in low light.

jesus and child crop by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

I look forward to doing more HDR and can't wait till I get another wide lens. For now I will play with the 50mm and see what kind of shots I can come up with. I liked the flower shot because I shot at a lower Fstop and got a great separation from the background..something I rarely will do.

Cheers and Happy Easter!!

Last edited:
These are amazing.. question, i hear a lot of folks mention wide angle lenses when it comes to HRD.. Does having a wide angle make for better pictures or is it just an option for a different view?

I don’t believe that wide angle lens do any difference. I use almost always wide angle (10-20mm) or fish-eye (4.5mm) – but I think you can do as well with other lenses. It all depends on how you wire your brain to spot good motives.

Ok to answer your question for everyone would be hard and it is relative so I will answer it for my view. Wide lens is a tool just like any other lens. Wide angle lenses let you get more in the frame. Many people who shoot HDR from what I have gathered shoot landscapes, interiors and cityscapes. When shoot these types of photos the idea is to get as much in as possible. This is where wide angle lenses come into play. If you are indoors need less room to get as much as you can into the frame. If you look at the easter basket photo, if I had a wide lens I could have easily got the whole table in with all decorations in the frame as well as the hutch in the background at the same distance. With the 50mm I have to walk further back to get that all in and as I walk back you loose detail from your subject since it is further away from your lens/senor. Wide angle lenses also offer a perspective that other lenses such as the prime I used do not. It makes everything kind of point to the center. When you are outside taking a picture of a sky with clouds, when using a wide angle lens you will get the feeling that you are in the picture. The clouds sky wraps around you and has perspective towards the middle of the frame. IF you never have looked through a wide angle lens its hard to describe how different it is. Once you do get the opportunity to look through one its so cool and very fun to work with.

Now you get the reverse effect when your subject is at a distance and you can not get any closer. Sometimes you will need a zoom lens and can still do HDR with it. Example. You are out looking at a landscape and you have come to a cools scene. You can not get closer to your subject because there is a fence or lake...just something that will not allow you to get closer to capture the subject better. IF you use a wide angle lens your subject will be to far so now you need to mount a zoom or telephoto lens to get closer. Does not mean your exposures will be any less quality.

So its all relative to what you shoot. If you use a wide angle lens and you get real close to the subject it gives a weird look. Have you ever seen those pictures people take of the dogs and their noses seem huge and extra long? That is result of being to close to the the lens, but it is a cool effect thus why wide angle lenses are fun... I think you will find that many people who shoot HDR use wide angle lenses in most of their photos because they are on the hunt for a great scenery and when you are their you want to get in as much as possible.

Most reactions

Back