2013 Black Friday deals

When it comes to camera gear, it depends on where you look. Here in the States, people line up at the door, even 8-10 hours before they open up on Friday (or Thursday, this year!) to get 'the deal of a lifetime'. Few are successful due to very limited quantities available at that price.

4-5 years ago, I wanted a newly introduced 'top of the line' 8gb USB thumb drive that was advertised at Staples, a national office supply store chain. I got there perhaps 30 minutes before they opened up to find a line of perhaps 25-30 customers waiting for the 6AM 'grand opening'. When they finally opened the doors, the sales person that opened the door said "all the laptop computer deals are already sold out!" Meaning...the employees bought them all (maybe 5-10 available in each store) before they opened the doors! Fortunately, there were only 2 or 3 other customers interested in the bin-full of thumb drives that were advertised for about half of the normal price.

So, several years ago, I figured I'd try Black Friday for a deal in a DSLR. I think the "dubious online dealer in New York City" (as opposed to the real 'good guys' in NYC) reduced their regular price maybe $50 on a $900 DSLR. I then had to wait over 2 WEEKS for it to be shipped (vs same-day for the 'good guys'!).

Last year, I figured there'd be a deal on a high-end DSLR on Black Friday. I searched and searched to no avail. No deals on a 5D mark iii...anywhere! But was WAS being discounted was mostly entry-level photography equipment...Canon Rebels, 60Ds, EF-S lenses, etc. Most of those were 'package' deals that included the body and lens, plus a less-than-great case, extra battery, cleaning paraphenalia, screw-in macro and/or telephoto lens, magazine subscriptions. All the 'goodies' were there probably to clear their shelves of high-profit, useless junk.

Bottom line, if you are looking for a 'good deal', know what the 'usual', pre-Black-Friday prices are for what you are interested in at each of the dealers. Then, when they advertise one of those items, you'll see if it's a real 'deal' or a waste of time.

And one more thing...I think the 'high end' for the 'original prices' is about $1000 US on what goes on sale. High end cameras, fast glass, etc, the only 'sale' is what Canon or Nikon SAYS what will be the price.

Thanks.
In my case, as I hate lines, I am more interested on online shopping and deals.

Thanks.
In my case, as I hate lines, I am more interested on online shopping and deals.
If you want to shop via internet and want good deals do what I do and buy used.
In the last few months I bought 3 used lenses and got sweet deals on all of them.

Adobe is running a photoshop/lightroom combo promotion offering them for $9.99/mo for anyone (normally something like $20/mo IIRC) that price is normally only for owners of previous CS3+ versions but the promotion is offering it to everyone regardless of if they are previous CS owners or not:
Nature and Wildlife Photography Articles - Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 on sale until Dec 2nd

I'm not a huge fan of the whole adobe CC setup, but for what they're charging, its far cheaper than regular photoshop purchase was, and upgrades, etc...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back