20D Firmware

darich

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.darich.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just tried to update the firmware on my 20D from the Canon website and it stuck at 94%. i waited around 10mins but it never budged beyond 94%.
I removed the battery and the card and reinserted both.
Obviously with the Firmware not fully updated, the camera now continuously looks for a CF card with new firmware for updating.
I dont have access to any of the menus on the camera.

The firmware obviously isn't right so does anyone have any idea of what i do next?

Uh oh, I was going to update mine, but now I'm not sure. I don't know what advice to give you. Sounds like you'll have to send it in for repair.

Ya, I would have let that thing sit for a good hour before I pulled the plug. generally if a firmware or BIOS flash is interrupted there is nothing you can do to fix it. The EEPROM will have to be reprogrammed at a service center. So like Matt said you will probably have to send it for repair. Check out canons tech support, I hope i'm wrong :(

Good News!!!
In my follow up attempts, i hadn't closed the battery hatch even though the battery was fully inserted and powering the camera. it seems that the battery hatch AND CF hatch have to be completely closed for the camera to operate properly.
Once i closed both hatches and reinserted the card with the update, it asked me again...did i want to update....so i said yes.
This time it paused at 94% for a few secs and then continued to the end no problem. "Update successful" message at the end.
I found on another forum that that had happened to others, so it looks like i was just a bit hasty in removing the battery first time round.
Thought I'd better post an update to the situation because i know a lot of others will be considering the update.

I'm glad it work out for you :), I think that would have given me a heart attack.

:thumbup: Good to hear. You scared me half to death with your problem. I wasn't going to update until I heard some good news. This was it. Thanks for the post.

Islair

Scared YOU half to death???...you can imagine how i felt then!!!

Took a few shots today and camera is fine
:mrgreen:

Is there a new update out there or something now?

EDIT: Yep, just found it on their page.

So this update only adds compatibility with the wireless transmitter and nothing else? If so, I am going to hold off on updating till an update that affects my equipment comes out.

Most reactions

Back