20d focus issues

I've read that, along with numerous other articles how to get the 20D to focus correctly. There are lots of good AF tips, but it doesn't really address the issue that thousands and thousands of people are posting that they are having AF issues with the 20D. I don't have these problems with my 10 year old Pentax AF 35mm SLR.

What is interesting is that some folks have both a digital Rebel and a 20D, and are not having the AF issues with the same lenses on their Rebels. I think Canon has really dropped the ball on this one, and is hoping we'll all quietly upgrade to the next DSLR rather than making them fix it (which may be impossible as many people are reporting the same problems after their camera is returned from the Canon service center).

Guess I shoulda bought the cheaper camera and been money and pictures ahead.

Some say that after they have had theirs calibrated it works fine.

Guess its burst mode and lotsa deleteing on the laptop for this weekends sportscar race.

For this I paid 2 grand???

I have focussing issues with my 70-200 f/4 L. That lens has many reported issues, and I also experienced those issues with my digital Rebel and that lens, but occassionaly I will still get a back focused shot with my 85 f/1.8 on the 20D. Do those focusing screens make manual focusing "easy" with that tiny viewfinder? I have trouble manual focussing.

Well, the viewfinder is so small and dim that it's more difficult than with a 35mm SLR, but I'm doing better manually focusing with the split screen than the camera's AF was doing by itself. I can't wait until I can afford a full frame sensor DSLR; not because of the extra megapixels, but for the larger, brighter viewfinder.

Well, I contacted Canon and explained my situation--that I need this body at all times because I have weddings scheduled through the end of the year. I know that Canon does a loaner program, because the studio where I shoot has used it numerous times when we've had a body go bad. But I got exactly what I expected from Canon to a small-time, couple-of-cameras customer--

Dear Mr. Wikman:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

I apologize, but the only option we can offer you is to examine the camera at our Factory Service Center. Please note that we cannot address issues with non-Canon equipment, and thus we are not able to assist you with the Sigma lens. Canon EOS system cameras are designed for use with EF and EF-S series Canon lenses only. It is entirely possible that the camera would perform poorly (if at all) with a non-Canon lens attached.

Our recommendation is to have the EOS 20D and grip examined by a service technician. For factory service, please forward your digital camera to one of the Factory Service Centers shown below. When shipping your camera, please be sure to remove the memory card and batteries. You are not required to send any accessories or manuals when shipping the camera. Be sure to include your name, street address (no P.O. boxes, please), telephone number, and a letter describing the issue with the product. If it has been less than one year since the camera was purchased, we ask that you also include proof of warranty in the form of a copy of your sales receipt.

:roll:

Here's what I emailed back to them this afternoon:
Hi Jenny --

Thanks for getting back with me. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck between a rock and a hard place. I _need_ that camera body until at least the first of the year, as I have weddings scheduled through 17 December. Unfortunately, by that time the one-year warranty will be expired.

I understand that Canon can't be held responsible for problems with non- Canon lenses, but I am experiencing these same issues with my Canon 50mm f/1.8 and my Canon EFS 18-55mm lenses. I have done extensive testing with the Sigma lens on my Canon 300d, as well as the 1DS-MkI, 1DS-MkII, and 1D-MkII at the studio where I work, and have brought the lens in to Roberts' Camera in Indianapolis, where it performed flawlessly on another 20d. As you can hopefully see, the issue is not with the lens (Sigma or otherwise), it is with my 20d body.

If there is another solution, I would love to hear it, but the impression that I'm getting is that you've got my money, and I've got a $1500 paperweight.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back